topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 8:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Quickie: Assembla - online project hosting  (Read 3039 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quickie: Assembla - online project hosting
« on: August 01, 2008, 04:06 AM »
I just wanted to write a bit about Assembla, which I use to work on some personal projects. I think it could be of great benefit if you aren't already using a similar tool. Assembla projects free and paid integrated tools for project management, bug tracking and versioning. They call it workspaces. I only have experience with the free option. I've not used most of the features so that's why this is not a review.

They describe themselves like this:
Assembla provides tools and services for accelerating software development, with three lines of business: Tools: Workspaces on Assembla.com, this web site, used by thousands of teams. Talent: Staffing services that find the best person or team for the job, worldwide. Knowledge: We run projects ourselves, and we do management consulting to fix stalled product release cycles, streamline product strategy, build startup teams, implement iterative and agile processes, and get products released.

What do you get?
* You can sign up for unlimited free workspaces with unlimited team size and integrated tools like wiki, discussion, alerts, chat, ticketing, Trac, Git and Subversion.
* You can manage / add / change /remove team members, invite people to contribute.
* Set specific filter createria that send notification to you via your workspace and/or email
* Set of reporting tools (scrum) that allows you to manage bigger projects
* Set milestones
* Online subversion repository that you can access from any pc via the browser or via a SVN client
* All this integrated nicely and better than I could do it myself would I set it up.

There's also a whole paid job side that you can use to get paid for jobs and find jobs to work on, but I haven't looked into that. This is possible because it has a mini developer network based on user accounts so you can find people that are expect on ruby on rails etc.

How free is free?
IF you use > 200MB per project then they might contact you to see if you're interested in upgrading. They also make money offering upgrade features to the free spaces if you desire to do so or if you create an unreasonable demand on their system, ie. the next big software project. They also offer consultancy. However you'll not notice any of this while you use your own projects and there are no obtrusive commercial elements. Disk space limits are not strictly enforced. If you are using a lot of space, you should support our effort to provide quality hosting by purchasing a commercial space subscription, and we will remind you to do it. We provide extra disk space to volunteer projects, such as open source projects and research projects. More information on the differences between free/paid see their tour

Hope this is useful to you.

More Screenshots
assembla01.pngQuickie: Assembla - online project hosting
assembla02.pngQuickie: Assembla - online project hosting
assembla03.pngQuickie: Assembla - online project hosting
assembla04.pngQuickie: Assembla - online project hosting