topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: super simple language?  (Read 8230 times)

dbarton

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
super simple language?
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:48 PM »

I write tons of batch files to do small chores on my pc.. some of these ask me for input, or send me a message.
These work just fine, but the text boxes just look too old fashioned to have anyone else use these.

Is there basically a very simple language thats not much more than just a a version of batch files, that uses proper windows boxes to send messages and get input?

Autohotkeys kinda does some of this, but...

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: super simple language?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Try AutoIt. It's a much cleaner language than AutoHotKey and provides equivalent functionality.

Ehtyar.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 03:36 PM »
I write tons of batch files to do small chores on my pc.. some of these ask me for input, or send me a message.
These work just fine, but the text boxes just look too old fashioned to have anyone else use these.

Is there basically a very simple language thats not much more than just a a version of batch files, that uses proper windows boxes to send messages and get input?

Autohotkeys kinda does some of this, but...

Yes, AutoHotkey, no but ;) https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1167.0

dbarton

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:06 PM »

I got pretty far with Autohotkeys overnight and wrote a few small utiliities.
Now you tell me about Autoit. :)

Can you tell me why it's better? Not sure what you mean by cleaner...

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:37 PM »
It's a bit of a programming term, sorry for not explaining myself. Basically, because AHK was originally very limited and basic, language design wasn't taken as seriously as it ought to have been, which is to say they didn't keep in mind things like future features or extensibility when they created it, thus ending up with a language that is not as uniform as it could be. In AutoIt's case however they took it a bit more serious and have ended up with a language that is much neater and easier to read and write. Also, if you're not adverse to having a slightly more complicated language to deal with, I would recommend Perl over both of these, though you have far more overhead if you want to compile your scripts to executables at any point, but then Perl scripts are cross-platform compatible unlike AHK or AutoIt.

Hope this helps, Ehtyar.

dbarton

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 06:43 PM »

It does help.

So far Autohotkeys seems to have an pretty good set of source code that I've found to be able to very quickly get up to speed so quickly. Nice to bang out a few tiny utils overnight.

Do you know of any Perl sites that are as easy to get me up to speed super fast?

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 07:51 PM »
Your best resource as a Perl beginner is the Perl windows wiki, particularly the Installing For The First Time section. Just ask if there's any info you'd like you can't get from it.

Ehtyar.

P.S. I would recommend Perl 5.8, and not 5.10 as support for 5.10 on windows is not as great as support for 5.8.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 03:04 AM »
It's a bit of a programming term, sorry for not explaining myself. Basically, because AHK was originally very limited and basic, language design wasn't taken as seriously as it ought to have been, which is to say they didn't keep in mind things like future features or extensibility when they created it, thus ending up with a language that is not as uniform as it could be. In AutoIt's case however they took it a bit more serious and have ended up with a language that is much neater and easier to read and write. Also, if you're not adverse to having a slightly more complicated language to deal with, I would recommend Perl over both of these, though you have far more overhead if you want to compile your scripts to executables at any point, but then Perl scripts are cross-platform compatible unlike AHK or AutoIt.

Hope this helps, Ehtyar.

Uh, maybe I missed something, but the two are the same basically.  AutoIt was first, and the developers had a disagreement which led to AutoHotKey as a fork.  Much of the code (especially prior to AutoIt3) is completely compatible with each other from my understanding.  So I REALLY don't understand what you mean.

Oh, I will say this from what I saw at their support forums (I tried both).  AutoIt is much more fanatical in a bad way.  They seem to hold much more of a grudge against AHK users than the other way around.  Maybe it is just me, but that really turned me off AutoIt more than anything with the code.