topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Farr "-exit" command takes a while.  (Read 4086 times)

Rochey

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Farr "-exit" command takes a while.
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Hi guys, This is my first post on this forum and let me start by saying thank you for this great piece of software. I am a recently converted Farr user coming from the Launchy scene.
I have got Farr installed on my home PC, work laptop, 4GB usb flash drive and my 160GB usb hard disk (it's quite a task to try and keep them in sync).
My problem (more of an annoyance) is that on my usb copies I have got a program that issues "findandrunrobot.exe -exit" and it can take up 7 or 8 secs to close. Is there anyway to make it close quicker? or is it a limitation with Farr? or my usb drives being too slow?

Hope someone can help and I look forward to your replies.
Again thank you for this fantastic software.

Rochey

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Farr "-exit" command takes a while.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:07 PM »
exits instantly here.

Rochey

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:49 PM »
I did some more checking and mine exits instantly on my PC but when I run it off my usb stick it takes a long time. It suggests that my usb stick is making it exit slowly.
Should have really checked before posting. Sorry 'bout that.

Is there any problem with me killing farr on my usb stick (I'm sure I've got something that will do it)? Or does farr do some tidying up on exiting?

Rochey

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:44 PM »
you wont cause any harm by forcing it to exit -- but it's possible that it won't have saved any recently launched programs in its recently launched files history, which you probably don't care about.

however i don't really know why it would take much longer to kill just because it's running on a usb stick.

can you check if you exit farr on your usb stick by choosing to exit from the tray menu, whether its fast or slow.
in other words, is the long delay because of farr existing no matter how it exits, or is it only a long delay when using the commandline -exit switch.

if its ALWAYS slow exiting then the problem is probably a delay saving its configuration file in general on the usb stick.  in which case you might check the size of the config file and see if its huge.  there was a discussion on the forum a while ago about an antivirus program really slowing down the ini file saving operation of farr.