topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Ring the bells!!! The HD Format war is OVER!!! Toshiba forfeits  (Read 17483 times)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ring the bells!!! The HD Format war is OVER!!! Toshiba forfeits
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 06:55 AM »
I really never cared about the format war much; as it stands, about the only thing I had vested in it was a preference to the utilitarian, function over form name "HD DVD".

Things that benefit the absolute most from HD, in my opinion, are video games and programming on television -- Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, Travel Channel.  I don't really enjoy a movie any more than I would have just because now, I can see his makeup -- actually, the few times I saw Bluray in action, I hated it.  I don't *want* the actors to look like stage actors in makeup! Give me 1970's sci-fi space opera film grain any day.  But that's just a matter of preference.

For me, the reality of it is that I love watching movies but hate DVD's -- and that loathing is sure to extend to BluRay. I find that there are precious few I actually will re-watch frequently enough to justify the cost of the media and the space it occupies thereafter.  And this is all assuming neither my son nor dog get their hands on (and ruin) it.

I prefer to rent -- either from a video rental place or just snag it on PPV.  At 2-5 dollars, I'd have to watch the movie 4-10 times ( depending on price v. rental fee, of course). With the exception of a handful of real favorites, I'm unlikely to watch the same movie more than once in 2-3 years.  Increase the price, now, with a new storage/playback medium, and the rental becomes all the more attractive.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 07:54 AM »
A lot of people are saying that this mentality is the reason that Microsoft didn't get more involved in the war... it didn't really care if HD DVD failed.  It was looking to HD streaming downloads, and the rumour is that they are going to announce a partnership with Netflix to do something like that in the next few days.  My take on the whole thing is if we're streaming it anyway, I'd rather just do something like on demand.  Pay an amount a month to have access to a whole catalog of movies over cable.  It seems that most of the time that the internet connection is down, the cable connection stays up, and the act of streaming is more seamless...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 03:28 PM »
YES!

I'm glad Blu-ray won! I'm really only concerned about buying a burner to make backups, and the extra storage on Blu-ray is exactly what I wanted.

I'll now start actually looking to purchase one...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 11:44 AM »
Just because Blu-Ray is the format winner that doesn't mean that Sony is the winner.

From Kotaku.com:
There are 176 companies in the Blu-ray Disc Association, including Sony competitors Samsung and Panasonic. They're not necessarily buddies! They're competing. This is business, not summer camp!

Interesting factoid: Before Sony released the PS3, HD DVD occupied 64 percent of HD format sales, and now Blu-ray accounts for 65 percent. The ironic bit: While Sony built up big Blu-ray support with the PS3, it doesn't solely own the technology. Sony must split royalties with other members of the Blu-ray association like Samsung and Panasonic — the same members Sony is battling with for market share!

Give me 1970's sci-fi space opera film grain any day.  But that's just a matter of preference.

Here you go: Flash Gordon (1980)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Sorry, I have to...

entiraecol-275.png

From Tira Ecol

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Hey, a Spanish webcomic! Bookmarked!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 12:49 PM »
And... to all the people who *insisted* that this would be good for prices...

http://www.tgdaily.c...tent/view/36740/113/

... I guess we can throw this in the same file that said that the Iraq war would be good for gas prices?