Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 01:21:26 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Organize your Quick Launch menu  (Read 6842 times)
Dr-Leech

Psychedelic Coder

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:19:39 AM »

It's a stupid tip, but could help some people keep their quick launch organized using folders.

Really simple.
Just go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\{USER}\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

(replace {USER} with your Windows User)

And start creating folders and add shortcuts or programs inside.

It will look like this:

lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:32:42 AM »

a good point, i have the path in my CLCL macro for quick opening. another option is FreeLaunchBar or its beefier cousin, TrueLaunchBar which is currently available at 50% discount.

a_lunatic
Supporting Member

Fulltime Single Dad

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »

I tried a lot of programs for taskbars but didn't like any of them(just to much bloat for me) & settled on using a double size Taskbar & folders using alt codes as names which are added as toolbars & all so use Start Killer & PresStart to reclaim the wasted space under the start button

The orb is just a shortcut thats in a folder with no name by the use of alt codes to the PresStart program & the QuickLaunch is the last two icons to the right.

AndyM
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:07:36 AM »

folders using alt codes as names which are added as toolbars

Two questions:  Do you manually change the sort order in your toolbars?  If so, does the sort revert to alphabetical after a reboot or explorer restart?
a_lunatic
Supporting Member

Fulltime Single Dad

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:25:24 AM »

No all the shortcuts in the folders are sorted alphabetical anyway from when they are added
Dr-Leech

Psychedelic Coder

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:55:36 AM »

The orb is just a shortcut thats in a folder with no name by the use of alt codes to the PresStart program & the QuickLaunch is the last two icons to the right.

Why do you use alt codes as names? just visually pleasure?

AndyM
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »

No all the shortcuts in the folders are sorted alphabetical anyway from when they are added
Thanks
a_lunatic
Supporting Member

Fulltime Single Dad

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »

Just didn't want numbers or letters.
Dr-Leech

Psychedelic Coder

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »

Just didn't want numbers or letters.

Ahh nerdy boy  tongue

nite_monkey

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 07:06:28 PM »

I do something similar to that, I use the right side of my second monitor and put all my icons into organized folders, and then I dock those folders to the side of my second monitor.

[Insert really cool signature here]
Hirudin
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »

I think you can right click on the quick launch bar and choose "Open Folder". Just a quick way to get to it...

I do it like nite_monkey (but I only have one monitor). I have a "shortcuts" folder on my desktop that I have docked to the left side of my screen (set to auto hide).

The icons are re-arrangeable and stay that way between restarts.

* Screenshot - 2_12_2008 , 6_14_31 PM.png (83.59 KB, 53x1600 - viewed 383 times.)
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:30:02 AM »

It's a stupid tip, but could help some people keep their quick launch organized using folders.

Really simple.
Just go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\{USER}\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

(replace {USER} with your Windows User)

And start creating folders and add shortcuts or programs inside.

It will look like this:
 (see attachment in previous post)

You don't have to go there to do it. You can open any folder on your system onto your taskbar as a toolbar. You can even drag a folder full of shortcuts from explorer and smack it against an unused side of the screen and make a new toolbar that is just like your taskbar that can autohide & all. It just doesn't have the start button, open program buttons, or system tray...pure shortcut & toolbar space.  Kiss

This is how I did my 'scary toolbars', that always seems to freak people out.

Keeping the 'desktop' toolbar slid down like I have it on the bottom left, makes every drive, folder, and file on my pc accessable from a menu, under 'My Computer'...including ones on any CD or DVD I may have inserted.

Dr-Leech

Psychedelic Coder

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »

OMG.
That's incredible. You're a big menus fan! smiley

Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »

This is how I did my 'scary toolbars', that always seems to freak people out.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.042s | Server load: 0.03 ]