topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IMAP Email hosting  (Read 8880 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IMAP Email hosting
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:30 AM »
I know this topic exists already on this forum but I wanted a new topic for a new series of this discussion.

I am looking for users of services such as fastmail.fm, runbox, tuffmail and fusemail. I am looking for a good provider to host my IMAP email account and a custom domain, that both myself and my wife can use. It must provide aliases which can be added/deleted as needed as well as catch-all support. It must have a good amount of storage space as I archive almost every email I receive (lots of newsletters to include donationcoder's which is still labeled as spam for some reason (MOUSER?!?!?!?)).

Are there any users of services like the aforementioned? If so, what are your thoughts (including you tinjaw, I know you will vouch for tuffmail :) )

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IMAP Email hosting
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:33 AM »
(including you tinjaw, I know you will vouch for tuffmail :) )

And Dreamhost. Yes, they once were waaaaaaaaaaay oversold, but they are now a rock'n hosting company. I have left several mom & pop hosting services, 1 & 1, GoDaddy, and PEHosting, and moved everything to Dreamhost. (Except email at Tuffmail)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:43 AM »
I use Fastmail, an Enhanced account.  It has the maximum number of aliases and virtual domains.  Costs a bit but I feel fairly comfortable with the developer there.  (I guess as comfortable as it is possible to be nowadays!)  You did mention Fastmail, so maybe you have a problem using them.

Here's a link to Fastmail's Pricing and Plans page.  It shows all of the various features (aliases, etc.) that are available.  I can set up throwaways pretty easily, though there are so many free websites offering throwaways it is just as easy to grab a few free favorites among them.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 01:45 AM »
BTW, Fastmail recently increased their Enhanced Plan's storage to 6 GB.  Also, if your wife is to have her own address you would need either two separate accounts, or they did just introduce a Family plan that may be a better fit - I haven't really looked at that though.

Jim

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:38 PM »
I am just curious if anyone has found any good services providing decent IMAP hosting? I am particularly interested in "unlimited" email aliases. I use this feature extensively and it has resulted in only 27 spam messages in 3 years :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Josh, Take a look at http://www.spamex.com . $9.95 USD gives you 500 throwaway addresses which go through their servers - both ways - so you can reply to emails to these addresses without revealing your true email address. II'e used it for a few years now and it has worked well for me.

Thanks!

Jim

PS - I use this service with an enhanced Fastmail account.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36 AM »
I'm still using Tuffmail and still happy.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Tuffmail is good and i sent several people there, because the pricing is better than fastmail

I'm staying with fastmail, though, because it has worked really well for me, there are some clever niche features (jabber based private im, minimal ftp/http hosting) which come in handy now and then.

I last year switched to a family account for R and I - and and have about 55 domains in it - for some I even use the DNS.
I am also starting to use the address book more, but they dont yet have live sync, only import/export

My main problem is that they dont sent email updates or anything so I have to remember to check their blog and forums to hear of new features and tweaks.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Tuffmail is good and i sent several people there, because the pricing is better than fastmail

I'm staying with fastmail, though, because it has worked really well for me, there are some clever niche features (jabber based private im, minimal ftp/http hosting) which come in handy now and then.

I last year switched to a family account for R and I - and and have about 55 domains in it - for some I even use the DNS.
I am also starting to use the address book more, but they dont yet have live sync, only import/export

I have an enhanced account, about three years left on my current 5 year subscription. I love the aliases and the ability to have my domains there. I have two domains there but all I do is use them for emails at those domains' addresses. I did have a few web pages there but I have had a little trouble getting them to what I want. Very different from when I had them hosted at a regular hosting company! Are you using any of your domains there as web sites? If so please point me toward a resource that would help me to get there.

My main problem is that they dont sent email updates or anything so I have to remember to check their blog and forums to hear of new features and tweaks.

Same here. Plus I don’t bother with their web mail page anymore instead accessing it all from Thunderbird, so I know nothing at all about what they are doing unless I check the blog and/or the Email Discussions forum to see what folks are bitching about lately! The blog used to be neglected so I got out of the habit of even checking it a few years ago. I have to remember that they are actually posting there now.

Thanks!

Jim

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 01:58 PM »
I'm guessing there is a logical reason that no one has mentioned gmail/google apps mail? I have my domain pointed to a google apps account and google apps also supports a catch all account, and also supports imap, which is what I use with thunderbird on my desktop. And for storage, gmail currently has 7 gigs of storage space(which grows like crazy all the time).
[Insert really cool signature here]

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 03:53 PM »
GMail does not support aliases in the proper form (not the [email protected] form google suggests for use). I like the ability to create actual "addresses" which have no mailbox associated with them and delete them as need be.