topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How Many DCUpdaters Do I Have Here!?  (Read 11058 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How Many DCUpdaters Do I Have Here!?
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:23 PM »
OK - weird topic title, I admit!  But...

I am seeing two different windows of DCUpdater at different times on my PC and, while I know my machine sometimes has a strange sense of humor, I cannot figure out what it is doing this time.

I initially installed DCUpdater several months ago - I don't remember exactly when -and I have it configured to start with Windows using Chameleon Startup Manager.  When DCUpdater starts with the system and I view the window by right-clicking on the tray icon and then "Show Updater", most of the installed programs are not listed in the Installed Packages window, but are listed in the Available for Installation window.  If I then minimize that window - thus closing it to the tray - and immediately open DCUpdater again in FARR, all of my programs show correctly!

The obvious explanation is that I have two separate installations of DCUpdater installed, of course.  Yet both Chameleon Startup Manager and FARR are showing the same exact path:  C:\Program Files\DcUpdater\DcUppdater.exe.  And both are also showing identical paths to the same Startup folder entry:  C:\Documents and Settings\[My Username]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\dcuppdater.LNK

I searched through my C: Drive with DOpus's search facility using the term "dcup*dater.exe" just to see if I somehow had the older version hiding somewhere - the one with only one "p" - or the latest version spelling - with two "p"'s.  Nope - only the one instance exists.

So how can DCUpdater show the incorrect info upon starting the first time, and then show the correct info when I re-open it?

Thanks for any help with this.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How Many DCUpdaters Do I Have Here!?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:49 PM »
One of the things dcupdater does that is confusing is that, when launched from FARR it is passed the FARR directory on the commandline, and ONLY shows updates from that directory.  When launched as standalone, it searches the directories it knows about (those which have "registered" with it).

So depending on how you launch it it will show different items.  I'm going to add a checkbox so you can quickly ask it to show all updates even when launched from a program like FARR.

However, if it does not show all items at startup when launched standalone, that suggests that some of the programs are not being detected properly.

Question, if you just start dcupdater from start menu manually rather than having it start with windows, does it find everything?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:51 PM »
Starting it from Start>All Programs shows all that it should.  So it appears that only when Chameleon Startup Manager starts it - which is really just making sure that same shortcut is in the Start Menu>Startup folder - it does not show all DC programs. Weird!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:55 PM »
Even weirder - I just exited DCUpdate and started it again from the Start>All Programs menu but this time I clicked on the link in the Start>All Programs>Startup folder and all shows fine there also.  Then again, since it has already been opened today with the correct programs showing it probably will stay that way until I reboot Windows again, right?

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:31 PM »
if it doesnt then its a clue that however its being invoked on startup is confusing it.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:35 PM »
if it doesnt then its a clue that however its being invoked on startup is confusing it.

But supposedly Chameleon, other than monitoring for programs trying to add themselves to the Startup folder, just places approved programs IN the Startup folder and that should make the start the same as when I use the Start menu, right?

Not sure I understand the mechanics of this issue!

Jim

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 10:44 PM »
Maybe it's an old version? Remember there was a change from DCUpdater to DCUppdater. I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but I suppose it's a possibility.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 12:14 AM »
Maybe it's an old version? Remember there was a change from DCUpdater to DCUppdater. I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Nope - latest version.  (If you look at my first post it says "dcuppdater", with the two p's).

Jim

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 12:57 AM »
Nope - latest version.  (If you look at my first post it says "dcuppdater", with the two p's).

Jim

What I meant was maybe you have two versions installed. The old one and the new one. But since you directed me back to your first post again, I noticed you said you already thought of this.   :-[

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 02:07 AM »
Yeah, sorry - I misunderstood you.  But you're right - I did do a thorough search to see if that had happened, and I can find no trace of it.

Thanks!

Jim