topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Maybe Vista doesn't suck?  (Read 63875 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Maybe Vista doesn't suck?
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Hang on isn't there a compatability layer in Windows now anyway - yes but it doesn't work well! (Right click on an EXE file and you can set it to run in Windows 98 mode if you want - but don't expect anything much to happen 'cos it never worked well).
Not really MS's fault though, some of the early 32bit windows applications were very ill behaved, using direct port I/O for keyboard access (shows how some of them were really designed as DOS apps but hack-ported to win32 at the last moment), used the privileged CLI instruction because some misguided "Oh I'm so eleet I can program teh assembl0r!" programmer thought it made his apps faster, etc.

Okay, so it was partly MS's fault for letting 9x being wide open and actually putting in the extra code needed to emulate CLI/STI, and iirc Microsoft were the ones who distributed the game POD (OMFG MMX!), which did port I/O... but still... :)
- carpe noctem

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Maybe Vista doesn't suck?
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2007, 09:28 PM »
POD was a great game btw looked for something similar ever since!