Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 23, 2014, 11:34:22 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to remove Flash Player not listed in Add/Remove?  (Read 6639 times)
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:47:39 PM »

It has been impossible for me to get a reasonable answer from Adobe, so now I am asking you guys, dolls and magicians: How to remove Adobe Flash Player and ActiveX Plugin ?

They are of course not listed in XP's Add / Remove Programs.

The problem began with the flash player not working, so I updated from Major Geeks to the new beta version. But this didn't help - on the contrary: When I tried to uninstall, XP would say that these programs seemed not to be installed, so would I like them to be removed from the list? I answered YES. Maybe I shouldn't have, because now I cannot install, and I cannot uninstall, or repair.

So I have no flash, and yet I have it - if you know what I mean.

So how can I remove Flash Player and ActiveX Plugin from my XP, so I can make a fresh install, please ??

tellme
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »

How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control
sri
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:37:56 AM »

I see Flash player and plug-in listed in zsoft uninstaller.

Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:48:35 AM »

Interesting. I've always used the downloadable uninstaller that PhilB66 linked to, but note that Flash is uinstallable via not only YourUinstaller! 2006:

but Windows Add/Remove as well:

I no longer remember WHY I have used the downloadable uninstaller from Adobe in the past... perhaps the uninstallation routine is something that Adobe has added in more recent versions of Flash Player?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 07:52:14 AM by Darwin » Logged

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:15:28 AM »

Sorry: I should of course have taken my time to explain in some more details.

Flash Player AND ActiveX Plugin used to be listed in Add/Remove Programs, but when they failed, XP asked if I wanted to remove their presence from the list. So they do come with an uninstaller.

I did ran the uninstaller which PhilB66 linked to, (Thank You, Phil!), but somehow Flash Player is still here, because when I then tried to install a fresh .60. BETA version from Major Geeks, the installer popped up and claimed that this was not the newest  version and I should go to Adobe to get the "new" (older) .47. version! This tells me that some Flash Player leftovers still remains somewhere at my PC, doesn't it.

So how do I remove leftovers from Flash Player and ActiveX Plugin, I guess I should ask.

tellme
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:32:12 AM »

I wouldn't take it that way, Curt. I think that beta's installer is just checking for the latest "full" release - if you've run the Adobe uninstaller first, Flash Player should well and truly be GONE!

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »

BTW, here's the path to the uninstaller %windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »

Hmmm... this is getting really bizarre, I think. I unistalled Adobe Reader, meaning there should not be any more Adobe or Macromedia programs on my machine. I then used RegSeeker to erase more than 500 Adobe- and 30 Macromed- entries from the Registry! I even removed the new Access Bridge from Sun, because it somehow is connected to Adobe Reader. Then I rebooted, and tried for the tenth time to install Adobe Flash Player and ActiveX Plugin, but the procedure failed again again!

Adobe is added to Trusted with everything alloved.

---
@ Darwin. I have to take it that way, because the installer did not just "inform" me about the alledged "new" version. It simply told me to get a newer version, and closed!
---

Not being able to install any version of Flash Player, no matter what browser I use, and with the registry cleaned from almost any presence of Adobe and Macromed, I have absolutely no idea what to do now. Do you have an idea, please?

tellme

Edit:
I closed almost every program on my machine, before installation.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:09:06 PM by Curt » Logged
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »

Hmm... that is worrisome (and no doubt highly annoying). I don't really know what to suggest beyond a format and reinstallation... Speaking from a load of negative experiences, I'd be REALLY careful using a registry cleaner as you did - you'll like regret that in the future, which leads me back to that format and fresh install of windows. I don't suppose you have a disk image that you could restore and try this again, by chance?

tinyvillager
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »

Do you have adobe air installed ?

Check your common files in the Program files folder,i had a similar problem last week.Flash 9 wouldn't install on IE,drove me nuts.

I uninstalled adobe air,used adobe uninstalled flash programs,and scanned for anything named macromedia and flash
9 with RegSeeker.

I think between adobe air and all these flash beta's adobe is kind of making things clunky.

In short i would just sleuth through the whole machine,registry,windows system32 folder,C:\Documents and Settings,and kill anything to do with adobe,and macromedia.That's what fixed it with me.

Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 05:24:34 PM »

YES, I would certainly like to repair XP, but NO, it's an OEM with no disc, and the backup disc is far too old to use already: I would loose some 300 programs... when I have had my CD Player repaired.....

NO, I have no Air... I have erased everything named Adobe or Macromedia.

And YES, registry cleaners are dangerous. Today I am convinced that it was a bad cleaning that started all the troubles many months ago!
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »

By now it has been almost a full month in which I have had no Internet browser Adobe ActiveX flash player, and it is getting very frustrating to me.

I was not aware how often I watch flash movies one way or the other, but now I know it is every day. So many times I have been asked if I want to install Adobe Flash Player, and so many times I have clicked Yes, but to no avail: Each and every time I try to install, the Adobe installer will pop up at once and tell me that "this is not the newest version" and I need to go to Adobe to download a new version - and then the installer will abort setup with no further options than to give up installing.

Of course I have been using new versions only, both .47 and .64 Beta, from both this and that download link, - I even tried the newest of the old archive versions - but these stupid popup messages keeps saying my versions are too old.

I have again and again uninstalled the proper way, by using the newest official Adobe Flash Uninstaller, version 4.0.0.3, various copies.

I have tried to remove any traces of Adobe and Macromed from the registry keys
- I even removed Adobe PDF Reader just for the sake of it.

I have uninstalled and updated this and that, including Java, but so far without any luck.

[Edit: I should tell that when I try to install from Adobe's homepage, the installation is never successful.]

Adobe seems to have decided not to answer my cry-outs for help.

What can I do??

tellme tellme tellme

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:47:51 AM by Curt » Logged
Lashiec

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »

format C: Grin

Why don't you download the standalone installer from File Hippo? Be sure to select the stable version in the menu at the right side, as the most current one is a beta of the next major build. Or use Flash with another browser (last resort).

Or if you're brave enough, go hunt in the CLSID section of the registry (not recommended).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:45:54 PM by Lashiec » Logged
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 02:46:54 PM »

The picture in my previous post is showing a standalone version. And as I wrote earlier in the thread, the problem have so far been regardless of what browser I was using. Yes, the answer may be some CLSID, but where are the names to make certain you are handling the right one? No, you were right: "not recommended"; such action may call more for insight than for bravery.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »

... 5 minutes later: I found a Macromedia key in the registry that somehow escaped my previous cleansing, and the suffix was "Version". I deleted the key, and installed flash without any problems! Problem solved.

cheesy  Thmbsup
p3lb0x
Supporting Member

Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 03:02:12 PM »

Version? Holy crap, how can so small a thing fok up your installation

Stop mousering people so much - Mouser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.04 ]