topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread  (Read 112502 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Is there a way for me to specify where this file is kept so I don't run into this problem?

yep!  just edit the ConfigDir.ini file in a text editor and you should be all set.  Let us know.

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2011, 06:53 AM »
Hi,

Is there any Keyboard+mouse combination for the "Launch and stay open" option? A combination like shift+click or something like that would be quite handy :)

Have a great day.

PS: Can't wait for an SSD drive to make FARR to fly :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:54 AM by Filipe Meira Castro »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 03:38 PM »
I'm new to FARR so this may be easily done (or not!):
1- I want to use it to 'cat' to a text file, for example a todo. That way I can add items to a plain txt file without opeining it. I know about farrmilk, but this has some other disadvantages (I cannot find a way to look at the entire todo list with it). Say I open farr and do 'ta add such and such'{enter}. 'such and such' gets appended to todo.txt. This is the workflow I want. Is this possible?

2- I happen to use bug.n. The FARR window gets resized to a full tile, which is not what I want (I want it floating on top). I tried adding a rule to the config.ahk excluding FARR. This works for most windows, but not for farr. This is what I have right now:

Config_rules_#35 := "*;*Find and Run Robot 2*;;1;0;0;1;1;0" ; FARR

I tried excluding the window ahk_class, but it doesn't seem to work. Is FARR doing something special? Any workaround to get it to work?

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 04:00 PM »
as for point 1, there have bee a couple of aliases that do this..
see https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=4426.0
and https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=2760.0

i used to distribute an addnote.exe utility for just this purpose, but i stopped once hamradio wrote his excellent hamnotes plugin.

but i could try to find the old addnote.exe if you want.

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any fast way to search in network drives?

One thing that would do the job for me is a way to search only for folders (could be faster because there is no need to parse every file..)

Is it technically possible, or would it be as slow?

Every time I want to search only for folders I create a new parameter in the "FARR search folders" with a odd extention like "ZZZZZZZZZ"
This is not the best way right?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2011, 12:55 PM »
in your search text if you add "+\" i think it should only search for folders

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Nice,

I tryed "-." and it also works.
Not faster than when searching for files,.. but very handy :)

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Hi,

Is there any Keyboard+mouse combination for the "Launch and stay open" option? A combination like shift+click or something like that would be quite handy :)

Have a great day.

PS: Can't wait for an SSD drive to make FARR to fly :)
-Filipe Meira Castro (May 30, 2011, 06:53 AM)

Do you happen to have something like this?
¨
Have a great day :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Is there any Keyboard+mouse combination for the "Launch and stay open"

Ctrl+doubleclick will launch an item and stay open.

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 04:34 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the comments, this is great!!
Was wanting this for so long and it was there after all!!!

(Have the keyboard shortcut when showing the option can be a great addition.. like when you right click a file in FARR, the menu has "Launch and stay open"
and could be replaced with "Launch and stay open [Ctrl DblClick]")

CTRL Click instead of CTRL Double click could be nice as well, but, thats details :)

A great functionality that could be added with this "launch and stay open" is to continue the search after launching
(at the moment, if I am searching for some subject, the results are being populated, but, as soon as one file is launched the search stops... that is ok for normal launching.. but with the "launch and stay open" it would be much better if the search would continue...)

Have a great day!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:27 AM by Filipe Meira Castro »

LibertyToad

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04 AM »
I've been trying to update FARR to the newest version but the when I download here from the official page I get  version 2.99.02.  

Also the update check still opens a dialog that has no close button.

Thanks!

:'(

NEVER MIND.  I was installing FARR into an existing FARR directory and it was installing the new version into a new FARR subfolder.  Oops.

DougalS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2012, 01:46 AM »
but another problem: on x64 OS FARR cannot start any .lnk (from %MYSTARTMENU%|%COMMONSTARTMENU%)
for build-in/system Windows application from "%windir%\System32\" that doesnt have corresponding x32 analog in "%windir%\SysWOW64\"

on windows 7 x64 you cannot execute:
"Sound Recorder", "Snipping Tool" and other.

maybe FARR, when resolve *.lnk target to %windir%\system32\* can try to find it in %windir%\sysnative too ?

I am new to FARR, although have used Launchy and Executor for some years (but am considering switching to FARR because it is so much better  :)). This is also a problem for me (and part of the reason I am looking at alternative launchers), as it is with both Launchy and Executor - although there is an unofficial Launchy x64 version.

I use regedit32 a lot, and often switch between the 32bit (sysWOW32 folder) and the 64bit (System32 folder) so I can see the HKLM\Software tree either in real mode or in the virtual redirected mode that the 32 bit version provides. There are other x64 apps I also use including nbtstat (doesn't exist in SysWOW32), and cmd.exe (need to run the x64 version to get access to nbtstat and also to manage network shares if the admin/normal networks aren't linked).

After lots of experimenting I think the following is the cause:
  • x86 apps cannot see the System32 folder, or any of the files therein. Any reference to Sstem32, including in shortcuts is redirected to the SysWOW32 folder.
  • x86 apps can call and use x64 apps that are not in the system32 folder, as it is the only one that is completely redirected.

To confirm this I use a x86 file explorer (Xplorer2) to look at the C:\Windows\System32 folder and it is exactly the same as the C:\Windows\SysWOW32 folder, and if I run C:\Windows\System32\regedit.exe I get the 32bit version (from SysWOW32 folder) and cannot see the real HKLM\Software\WOW3264node tree.

If I use a x64 version of Xplorer2 then I can see the real contents of C:\Windows\System32, and can start x64 apps from the System32 folder and x86 apps from SysWOW32 folder.
I think the only way to get access to apps (and consoles) in the C:\Windows\System32 is to do so from a x64 app. I have found that I can copy the apps out of the System32 folder and then they can be run fine.

One way I have got around this is to create a junction to the C:\Windows\System32 folder, and then I can access all the x64 app from the System32 folder by using the junction path. But this is a bit of a kludge and needs either Xplorer2 or link shell extension.

Sorry for long winded reply, but I think the only way to access the System32\apps I want is for a 64bit version of FARR.

DougalS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Mouser has fixed the System32 redirection problem with v2.103.01 beta, hopefully it will be released shortly.
Edit: now out with 2.104.02.  :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:26 AM by DougalS »

DougalS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Character selection in Input and memo box.
Not sure if this is due to limitations of libraries you use or something in the coding, but there are some odd key combinations that don't work in these boxes.
In the Input box the normal word select keys shift+ctrl+left/right don't work but shift+home/end do.
In the memo box the shift+ctrl+left/right work, but shift+up/down, shift+home/end and shift+ctrl+home/end don't. To move the selection into the next/previous line of text you have to use shift+left/right at the end/start of the line.
This is a minor issue in such a great program, but I often want to select just the previous word to replace it, and currently I have to use multiple backspace or double click the mouse to do it.
Cheers

DougalS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2012, 06:24 AM »
I am not sure this is a bug, or I am doing something wrong. I have a task that sometimes goes bad when the computer sleeps. I want to be able to kill it, then restart it again. Although I could do it with a script or batch called from an alias, I wanted to try and keep it all in an alias to keep everything in one place.

What I planned to do was use the pkill plugin to kill the task, wait a few seconds to make sure it is gone (if had to be forced), then start the task again.

I tried with alias result "restartsearch pkill taskname\n ;;; sleep 5000 ;;; restartsearch taskname\n" but it doesn't work, the first part "pkill taskname" just sits in the edit box for 5 seconds, then the second part "taskname" appears in the edit box, the results are provided and the task restart is executed.

If I use just the first part ("restartsearch pkill taskname\n") by itself as alias result, it works fine, but not when joined with the rest.

Thinking it may be something to do with calling an alias, I tried using direct file commands ("C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM taskname \runasadmin"), and this works with the rest of the command (";;; sleep 5000 ;;; restartsearch taskname\n"). The TaskKill command isn't as neat as the pkill plugin though (you don't get to try request before force, it is one or the other).

I also tried creating an alias for the pkill part (which works by itself), but when used as the first part of the command it doesn't find and run that alias (so again the first part does nothing). Is there something about the result window not updating until all the command is complete?

Sorry if I have missed something in the help file or forum (been searching and working on this for few hours now).

Cheers

Is there something I am missing when using a plugin alias and an intermediate command, or is this a bug.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Saw some very odd behaviour with the new version of FARR, but I'm not sure I can reproduce it again.

Basically, I was interfering with it quite a lot, looking for ways to make it faster and otherwise customise it. Decided, several months late, to watch the screencasts.

Excellent screencasts.  :Thmbsup:

So I got to the point of customising the fonts. I set the editbox and small fonts to Verdana (in 14 and 9 point) and the large font to Andre, 20.

Then I started playing with the line heights.

The small font lineheight controls went a tiny bit nuts. The result height box was the only one that was settable, and everywhere within the window to its left functioned as if I'd hit the left arrow, and everywhere to its right (including the slideline height control and the OK button!) functioned as if I'd hit the right arrow.

Aggravatingly, I can't now duplicate it, which probably means I did something else too.

Oh, I forced the thing into small mode before I started tweaking it, hang on... aha. That's the one. Force the results to the small font then open options and tweak the font settings.  :o

I've also had a play with the tiddlywiki and gtd wiki things. Both have infuriating aspects that are undoubtedly their fault rather than FARR's, but while playing I found myself in IE a couple of times, leading me to wonder if it's possible to make FARR use the default browser (at least for external links) rather than invoking IE...

...which leads onto another point, which is more a suggestion: there's another standalone wiki that I think is FAR(R) easier to use than tiddly: WikiOnAStick.
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2012, 05:17 PM »
Hi,

I made an alias 'fdebug' for showing all the standard variable values.
All values work fine except for %COMPUTERNAME%.

this is the alias

var userprofile = %USERPROFILE% |
var username = %USERNAME% |
var alluserprofile = %ALLUSERSPROFILE% |
var mydocuments = %MYDOCUMENTS% |
var myfavorites = %MYFAVORITES% |
var mydesktop = %MYDESKTOP% |
var alldesktop = %ALLDESKTOP% |
var mystartmenu = %MYSTARTMENU% |
var commonstartmenu = %COMMONSTARTMENU% |
var programfiles = %PROGRAMFILES% |
var mypictures = %MYPICTURES% |
var mymusic = %MYMUSIC% |
var myvideo = %MYVIDEO% |
var myappdata = %MYAPPDATA% |
var commonappdata = %COMMONAPPDATA% |
var commonmusic = %COMMONMUSIC% |
var commonpictures = %COMMONPICTURES% |
var commonvideo = %COMMONVIDEO% |
var fonts = %FONTS% |
var systemdir = %SYSTEMDIR% |
var farrdir = %FARRDIR% |
var configdir = %CONFIGDIR% |
var faruserdata = %FARRUSERDATADIR% - MyLocalData in FARR path place to store user settings and user-modifiable files |
var aliasdir = %ALIASDIR% - When specifying alias commands you may occasionally want to refer to the home directory of the alias |
var plugindir = %PLUGINDIR% - Directory of currently triggered plugin|
var appdrive = %APPDRIVE% - Will be something like based on drive where findandrunrobot was launched |
var computername = %COMPUTERNAME% -- replaced with current computer name |
var lasthwnd = %LASTHWND% - integer value referring to the last window handle that had focus before FARR was triggered |
var lasturl = %LASTURL% - last url navigated or set in internal web browser |
var lasturlset = %LASTURLSET% - last url explicitly set by alias/plugin in web browser |
var customfilebrowser = %CUSTOMFILEBROWSER% - user configured custom file browser string |
var customewebbrowser = %CUSTOMWEBBROWSER% - user configured custom web browser string |
var maxresults = %MAXRESULTS% - current number of max results to show in results, based on search |
var maxresultsdef = %MAXRESULTSDEF% - option set by user for default max results to show in results |
var maxresultsext = %MAXRESULTSEXT% - option set by user for extended max results to show in results |
var lastweberrors = %LASTWEBERRORS% - blank if no web script errors since last web page load, or text of errors |
var searchbox = %SEARCHBOX% - contents of current search box as shown|
var searchstring = %SEARCHSTRING% - current search string; may differ from search box based on alias dosearch manipulations |
var currentresult = %CURRENTRESULT% - currently selected result; useful for creating hotkeys that use it, etc; blank if nothing selected |
var currentresultnb = %CURRENTRESULTNB% - same as above, but = first result if nothing selected |
var aliasprefix = %ALIASPREFIX% - optional prefix for aliasses |

this is part of the output of above command
          var appdrive = C: - Will be something like based on drive where findandrunrobot was laun
          var computername = %COMPUTERNAME% -- replaced with current computer name         
          var lasthwnd = 329194 - integer value referring to the last window handle that had focus
I expected COMPUTERNAME to be replaced by the computername
Is this a bug?

wiem, NL

(farr version april 2012)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Nice work  :up:

Can you share your fdebug alias?
I will test and fix farr if its not replacing %COMPUTERNAME%.

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Mouser, I've included the farr alias export code to display all the environment variables.

it is just the code as provided above between 'this is the alias'
until 'this is part of the output' containing the problem
just copy paste except for the [  b ] and [ / b ] bold markings which i used to highlight the problem area
nothing special for the name, just ' fdebug'

Code: Text [Select]
  1. 1000>>>fdebug>->var userprofile = %USERPROFILE% |>n>var username = %USERNAME% |>n>var alluserprofile = %ALLUSERSPROFILE% |>n>var mydocuments = %MYDOCUMENTS% |>n>var myfavorites = %MYFAVORITES% |>n>var mydesktop = %MYDESKTOP% |>n>var alldesktop = %ALLDESKTOP% |>n>var mystartmenu = %MYSTARTMENU% |>n>var commonstartmenu = %COMMONSTARTMENU% |>n>var programfiles = %PROGRAMFILES% |>n>var mypictures = %MYPICTURES% |>n>var mymusic = %MYMUSIC% |>n>var myvideo = %MYVIDEO% |>n>var myappdata = %MYAPPDATA% |>n>var commonappdata = %COMMONAPPDATA% |>n>var commonmusic = %COMMONMUSIC% |>n>var commonpictures = %COMMONPICTURES% |>n>var commonvideo = %COMMONVIDEO% |>n>var fonts = %FONTS% |>n>var systemdir = %SYSTEMDIR% |>n>var farrdir = %FARRDIR% |>n>var configdir = %CONFIGDIR% |>n>var faruserdata = %FARRUSERDATADIR% - MyLocalData in FARR path place to store user settings and user-modifiable files |>n>var aliasdir = %ALIASDIR% - When specifying alias commands you may occasionally want to refer to the home directory of the alias |>n>var plugindir = %PLUGINDIR% - Directory of currently triggered plugin|>n>var appdrive = %APPDRIVE% - Will be something like based on drive where findandrunrobot was launched |>n>var computername = %COMPUTERNAME% -- replaced with current computer name |>n>var lasthwnd = %LASTHWND% - integer value referring to the last window handle that had focus before FARR was triggered |>n>var lasturl = %LASTURL% - last url navigated or set in internal web browser |>n>var lasturlset = %LASTURLSET% - last url explicitly set by alias/plugin in web browser |>n>var customfilebrowser = %CUSTOMFILEBROWSER% - user configured custom file browser string |>n>var customewebbrowser = %CUSTOMWEBBROWSER% - user configured custom web browser string |>n>var maxresults = %MAXRESULTS% - current number of max results to show in results, based on search |>n>var maxresultsdef = %MAXRESULTSDEF% - option set by user for default max results to show in results |>n>var maxresultsext = %MAXRESULTSEXT% - option set by user for extended max results to show in results |>n>var lastweberrors = %LASTWEBERRORS% - blank if no web script errors since last web page load, or text of errors |>n>var searchbox = %SEARCHBOX% - contents of current search box as shown|>n>var searchstring = %SEARCHSTRING% - current search string; may differ from search box based on alias dosearch manipulations |>n>var currentresult = %CURRENTRESULT% - currently selected result; useful for creating hotkeys that use it, etc; blank if nothing selected |>n>var currentresultnb = %CURRENTRESULTNB% - same as above, but = first result if nothing selected |>n>var aliasprefix = %ALIASPREFIX% - optional |>+>^fdebug

wiem
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:00 AM by wjamoe, Reason: added alias export for fdebug »

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2012, 04:34 PM »
tiny bug, while farr is still searching (updating results frame) and you right click on a filename, not being the 1st filename in the search results frame, the results area blanks and the context menu appears on the line where you clicked. When you select "Properties.." from the context menu. The displayed properties are not for the selected file, but for the first file in the result frame. After displaying the properties, farr populates the results frame. You will now also see the name of the first file in the results area again.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:17 AM by wjamoe, Reason: modified text for better explenation »

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2012, 02:03 PM »
I have to say wonderful program! :-* I love it, saves a lot of time every day.

some request/small bugs
- trailing spaces are not stored in historys, when you define an alias ^name (.*) the space does have a meaning,
   without the space it will give a different result. can you store trailing space(s) in the historys.
- when editing an alias detail-dialog and press ctrl-spacebar or Break the Farr windows do not react
  to the mouse or keyboard anymore (looks like a deadlock?), only way out is
  select Farr in the system tray, right click [exit], and restart farr. can you solve this?
- my laptop is not always connected to the network (server) as a result myalias aliases sometimes disappear (for ever).
- My "My documents"  folder is on the network. This gives problems. Now I use use Farr only in 'portable' version.
  I made the fdebug alias in one of the previous postings to find the cause. I think it has to do with:
- network folders like \\server_name\folder_name are somehow not supported?
  Is this by design ? I also tried \\\\server_name\\folder_name, farr does not
  recognize this as a folder. Can you add support for folder names like these?

Vanav

• Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2012, 05:54 AM »
Hello.
Can someone help me with my bug - missing program icons for 64-bit programs? More information: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=31836.0

justW3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • What you think I said is probably not what I meant
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2012, 05:13 AM »
Is my copy of FARR "broken"?
Hope this is the right thread to use to report this problem.  :-[

Recently, I find that if I open FARR and select the program I want to run, it doesn't actually launch the program any more. The hour-glass appears for about a second, and FARR closes, but nothing else happens.

Is this a known issue? Is there something I need to re-set?
I am using Windows XP (sp3). FARR worked perfectly until very recently. I've just undated to v2.200.01 in the hope that would fix the problem, but it hasn't.  :(

I never fully appreciated how much I depend on FARR  :-* until this happened! Help!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2012, 08:01 AM »
Can you try going into the "Launching Files" tab in options, and trying to change some of the options at top.
Most importantly, try unchecking the "Use file launch helper utility", but if that doesnt work try changing the "Launch Method".

Let me know if that helps.

nidusin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Hi Mouser,
Just a note to say the "multiple run" feature request in the first post can be closed.

nidusin

EDIT: just saw Josh actually has this thread.