Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 21, 2014, 09:07:24 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
New to the forums? May we suggest that you start by browsing some of the best forum posts highlighted in our recent monthly newsletters?

3447 Days       Online  

See who else has donated: View the Supporter Yearbook.
Pages: [1]

Friday September 08, 2006

Essay: How Digg Gets Everything Backwards.. And How to Fix It

Digg is a wonderful idea.. but it's horribly broken.

It suffers from a fundamental flaw in design. In fact its entire approach to leveraging the crowd's wisdom is completely backward.

Digg is using crowds in the wrong way, for the wrong role.  If we ask instead what is the crowd good at, and when do we need domain experts, we end up with a completely different model..

It seems everyone is lining up to stick the shiv in Digg, so here I go before my arm gets tired.  I actually still find interesting stuff on digg occasionally, I still submit occasional articles to Digg, and I'm not under any illusion that they are in the slightest bit of danger in terms of their market share, but I do think there are interesting issues that need more discussion.

Read the full opinion piece..

posted by mouser donate to mouser - September 08, 2006, 10:50:00 AM
social bookmark this story (permalink)
(read 42 comments)

Pages: [1]
DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.022s | Server load: 0.07 ]