ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA : Musicians Random File Selection

(1/6) > >>

Beth UK:
As a musician I sometimes like to work with sample sounds (mostly found sounds) to use within an improvised music project. Music software is a bit lacking in this area. I use usb midi interfaces and control surfaces to trigger sounds. The control surfaces I use provide options for up to 64 sounds.

I wonder if it is possible to create a basic script or app with simple GUI that allows random selection of common music files (wav, ogg, flac) from a single directory and copies the file into a sub-folder. An option say to select the number of files is important. Also, perhaps, the ability to read file tags and comments would be fantastic.

Why random files? It helps avoid repetition of choice, and is often inspirational. Also, working through 35,000 files can be very dull!

publicdomain:
... working through 35,000 files can be very dull!-Beth UK (January 26, 2022, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wowie! That's a lot of files! I have code for this (half-baked, sort of) thanks to "Random Sounds App":

https://github.com/publicdomain/randomsoundsapp

I'm staying home finishing several DC releases during the next few days. I'll give it a shot to yours! :Thmbsup:

P.S. please list *ALL* file extensions you're targeting/filtering (wav, ogg, flac...).

P.P.S. first version is likely a minimalist GUI. File tags and comments can be added later. Let's focus on the random functionality for v0.1.0.

Beth UK:
That would be fantastic publicdomain! My curated sample collection consists purely of wav, flac, ogg and very rarely mp3. The ability to be able to preview files before committing to a sub-folder would be very useful but can imagine that will possibly be problematic - especially as my sound uses an external sound interface using asio. Thank you for your interest!

publicdomain:
That would be fantastic publicdomain Vic! My curated sample collection consists purely of wav, flac, ogg and very rarely mp3. The ability to be able to preview files before committing to a sub-folder would be very useful but can imagine that will possibly be problematic - especially as my sound uses an external sound interface using asio. Thank you for your interest!
-Beth UK (January 27, 2022, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Alright Beth, RandomSampler repo is open @ https://github.com/publicdomain/randomsampler, I've cloned it locally to begin adding code :Thmbsup:

Regarding the GUI: thinking about a directory selection dialog, ListBox with all loaded samples as found in the directory AND a secondary list holding selected random files to preview with a play button.

Also, a "RANDOM SAMPLES" button with a text box alongside for changing the number of random files to select on each press.

Stay tuned! I'm home & "smashing keys" during a big chunk of the day; currently aiming at making a N.A.J. "New Apps for January" mini event :)

Cheers!
Vic

Beth UK:
 :Thmbsup: Fantastic!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version