ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

SkyIDE - Latest Release Information

<< < (30/39) > >>

SkyIDE:
Hmm, what I am trying to do is, instead of compiling each file one by one, you just press "Compile Project" from the project menu and if you have added your project's files the Compiling Files List, each file will be compiled simultaneously and all errors and warnings will be displayed in the bottom pane.

See this:

http://www.skyide.net/images/testing/compile.png

See the arrows pointing at the two different files? It's like compiling one file but two/three instead. You can have 10 files and they will be compiled at the same time.

You can add header files/souce files and compile everything at the same time.

Imagine you have 10 different files and you want to know which of them have errors. Instead of compiling one by one, you can compile everything at one go.

Gothi[c]:
Oh ok, i get it.

gnu make has an option (-j) to specify how many simultanious compiles are supposed to happen at the same time.

--- ---       -j [jobs], --jobs[=jobs]
            Specifies the number of jobs (commands) to run simultaneously.  If
            there  is  more than one -j option, the last one is effective.  If
            the -j option is given without an argument, make  will  not  limit
            the number of jobs that can run simultaneously.

i guess it's similar to what you have, but it differs in being able to configure a specific amount of simultanious jobs, maybe that would be a good feature to add, the number of simultanious jobs has an effect on the compilation time of the project. Generally a good rule is to use the number of cpu cores + 1 (or if you have hyperthreading +2); eg:

if you have a pentium 4, with hyperthreading, make -j3 will give you best performance (1 core + hyperthreading + 1 = 3)
If you are as lucky to have a quad cpu system, make -j5 will give you best performance
etc..

It's actually more commonly used with distributed compiling farms to specify how many nodes are in the cluster, eg to use with distcc or something.

It would really be AWESOME if SkyIDE would let you build a compile farm out of the box btw ;)
That would probably even be a feature that would attract businesses if SkyIDE were to mature. And if it ever gets famous you could make money off of it by selling support :D

SkyIDE:
being able to configure a specific amount of simultanious jobs, maybe that would be a good feature to ad
--- End quote ---

You mean something like this? :D

http://www.skyide.net/images/testing/projectoptions.png

That's an earlier screenshot.

Well it at least tells you how many files you want to compile...

It would really be AWESOME if SkyIDE would let you build a compile farm out of the box btw 
That would probably even be a feature that would attract businesses if SkyIDE were to mature. And if it ever gets famous you could make money off of it by selling support
--- End quote ---

:) hehehe sounds good! :D

SkyIDE:
By the way, I am also adding an option now for the C++ compilers:

(*) Compile ALL of the above files in a single process
( )  Compile ALL of the above files in separate processes

Choosing the single process option, when compiling the files, only one file may have a main() function

Choosing the separate processes option, each file may have multiple main() functions and each file will generate its own exe

Regarding the separate cores, hmmm, I haven't dealt win anything like that before. Manipulating cores? Now that would be cool :)

SkyIDE:
Here it is:

http://www.skyide.net/images/testing/projectprop2.png

Update: I re-worded that second option to:

"Compile the above files in multiple processes - With this option each file can have its own main() function and each file will generate its own EXE"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version