ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

SkyIDE - Latest Release Information

<< < (31/39) > >>

Gothi[c]:
Hmm... On second thought... I think you should probably put some more thought into the linking process before adding more features like this.

You have to remember, there are so many infinite ways that one can link a program or library (dll), that they invented makefiles, and even complete complex build systems and languages just for that purpose. I'm thinking it will be very hard to capture all that functionality in one or more GUI dialogs... Maybe you should do a small study on various build systems (eg, Makefiles, autoconf/automake/libtool, bakefile, scons, jam/bjam, etc,...) and see how they implement these things. You'll find that most use complex scripting or xml (bakefile), to direct the linking process. Capturing all that functionality in a GUI would be great! But it would also very hard to be complete. I think,... to do it 'right', it would require some study.

Of course, you don't HAVE to capture all that functionality, you can always support calling an external build system, and let that take care of the whole thing for you. However, implementing SOME of it, and additionally supporting an external build system may confuse users into thinking that they aren't able to do certain things.

Implementing all of it probably isn't a good idea, since you don't have your entire lifetime to complete this project, nor do you have an entire team of developer slaves. ;) So maybe you should put some thought into letting an external application direct the linking and compiling process, and drop more features like this all togeather.

Just some thoughts.

SkyIDE:
Thanks Gothic,

I will definately consider it. That is the exact reason why I have "Compiling Command" tab in the project options. The user will be able to choose to either let SkyIDE compile the project files or let the SkyIDE read user's command and when "Compile" or "Run" is pressed, the command the user typed will run instead of mine. But I know what you mean with all these make files. I haven't used any of them. I will be better of invoking them to do the job, I can just create a nice GUI for it to make things easier.

Once I complete this, what I am doing now, for the next beta after Beta 14 , I may add a third option where I let the user deal with makefiles. I will HAVE to write a help file as this is getting a bit complicated. Here is a screenshot of what happens when the second option is selected: (Considering there are no errors in code)

http://www.skyide.net/images/testing/multiprocess.png

I deliberately created some errors to demonstrate the error writing procedure in the output pane and I just launched the prev EXEs manually but if there were no errors, the EXEs will start by themselves.

Notice how the errors for each file are listed at once. You have main2.cpp, main3.cpp etc.

SkyIDE:
By the way, yes, the DLL section will be a separate section. I may need to let the user tell SkyIDE what each file should be, a DLL or an EXE but I will do that later, after Beta 14. May be for Beta 15.

SkyIDE:
Here is a new Project Properties Dialog: Tree View style, much more professional and less confusing

http://www.skyide.net/images/testing/newproperties.png

Update:

and improved one:

http://www.skyide.net/images/testing/newproperties2.png

SkyIDE:
SkyIDE Beta 14 has been released - Release Notes

This release of SkyIDE is huge. A lot of bug fixes and a lot of new features, changes and improvements have been implemented.

I had to postpone some of the features due to lack of time. Some of these features are the Linker Dialog which lets you link object files, the DLL compilation section and spreading the code into DLLs in order to improve overall speed. There are so many other features that I need to implement...

Here is what has been done for Beta 14

Added: Bakefile support is back! (I have big plans with this)
Added: Finalized support for VB.NET
Added: Support for Visual C++ Express 2005 v8.0
Added: Multi-file compilation support for Digital Mars D
Added: Multi-file compilation support for Digital Mars C++
Added: Multi-file compilation support for Digital Mars GNU C++
Added: Multi-file compilation support for Digital Mars Openwatcom C++
Added: Multi-file compilation support for Borland C++
Added: Multi-file compilation support for LCC-WIN32
Added: Multi-file compilation support for Visual C++ Express
Added: Multi-file compilation support for VISUAL C#
Added: Multi-file compilation support for VB.NET
Added: Multi-file compilation support for PASCAL
Added: Brand New Project Properties Dialog -- TreeView style
Added: Now you can include folders to the "include" path of Free Pascal
Added: Double clicking a project now opens up the project folder in Explorer
Added: Enhanced the Project's Folders popup menu
Added: Enhanced the Project's Files popup menu
Added: Enhanced the Project's popup menu
Added: "Set as Main File" to project file explorer pop up menu
Added: /target:<> setting in Change Project Options for .NET languages
Added: Force Dialog Filter Index On/Off Switch for Open/Save Dialogs

Bugfix: Changing Project Profiles sometimes didn't work
Bugfix: Serious bug fixes with the class viewer
Bugfix: Delete View->Save Changes->Cancel deleted the view anyway
Bugfix: Right Click Tab Bar->Set as Project Main file
BugFix: With adding multiple directories with some projects
BugFix: With VB.NET and C# formatted compiler output
BugFix: With Borland C++ formatted compiler output
BugFix: With LCC formatted compiler output
Bugfix: With SkyIDE->Project: Some options didn't work for a C# Project
Bugfix: With GNU C++ Project "libs" setting. SkyIDE produces invalid command
Bugfix: When compiling projects, the default project include directory was not passed to the compiler
Bugfix: In Select Project Dialog in project properties, "Show Root Folder" no longer throws an error
Bugfix: With "Change Project Options" settings with D and C# projects
Bugfix: With compiling: Sometimes if compilation failed, the old exe ran anyway
Bugfix: With the newly added C# and VB.NET Object Viewers (just forgot to add some code)
Bugfix: Some very minor bug fixes with the function viewer
Bugfix: (May be fixed) Multi Search and replace sometimes returned no matches after heavy usage
Bugfix: Free Pascal, Openwatcom and Borland C++ bug fixes with compiling files.
Bugfix: Many bug fixes with the section that shows "Errors:" and "Warnings" when compiling

Improvement: Much better and easier to use Compiler Profiles dialog.
Improvement: Text readability in "Compiler Output" -- Item Height Increased for easy ID
Improvement: Now the Open Dialog initial's dir is the one of the active file
Improvement: Relocated the Object Viewer to the bottom (it will be dockable soon)
Improvement: Redesigned the multi-file search and replace section
Improvement: Improvement with the way SkyIDE works with Openwatcom C++
Improvement: Improvement with the way SkyIDE works with Borland C++
Improvement: Improvement with the way SkyIDE works with Digital Mars C++
Improvement: Improvement with the way SkyIDE works with Digital Mars D
Improvement: Improvement with the way SkyIDE works with Digital Mars GNU C++

Other: Removed limitations with adding dirs in "Compiler Profiles" dialog
Other: Re-wrote most of the Compiling() code in order to make things easier to manage
Other: Relocated "Undo Last Close" a few levels up in the menu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version