ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (96/244) > >>

wraith808:
The only idiosyncracy now with Obsidian for me is that if you create a document from a link, it puts it in the root folder so you have to move it.  Annoying, but I'm liking it a lot more.

Nod5:
This new email service Hey overview got me thinking about workflows.

Brainstorm
Hey's new features include a reply later stack, paper trail filter, editable email subjects, custom threading, custom notifications, attachments browsing/filtering, clips views, annotation/sticky notes on emails, anti spy pixel and more. I want much of that. My overall reaction: Traditional (gmail ...) email workflows sure are restricted and there is lots to improve!

Now, good workflows are crucial also for single person note taking systems (Obsidian, Roam, ...). So we should really compare them in three ways:

1. single note editing/viewing (markdown features, linking syntax, highlighting, autosuggest, shortcuts, plaintext/preview ... )

2. notes as interacting set (auto backlinking, global search/replace, transclusion, "whole book view", code project style side panes, ...)

3. workflows for daily use (timestamps, global history, global todo, work planning, todos, calendar, kanban style planning, github style issues, separate changelog/history files, spaced repetition helpers, quickly picking up work from the day before, scheduled cleanup sessions, ...)

One big question: what workflow tools and structures do we want inside the note system app and what do we want in separate apps or merely in the user's head?

[re: zettelkasten data structure graphic]
Step 1 is going to the inbox
Step 2 is thinking about where it should be once it's in the inbox
I can't get from step 1 to step 2 in most cases.  If I just do it without thinking about it, I get little idiosyncracies in how they're categorized.  So my notes never get from the inbox to the archive referenced.  It's a failing on my part, but I haven't found anything that really helps with that without it seeming like 'too much'.
-wraith808 (June 17, 2020, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

A workflow issue! Inbox overflow is a super big risk here, just like with email. What note system features do we need to best handle that?

Dormouse:
What note system features do we need to best handle that?
-Nod5 (June 20, 2020, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
You need a flow control on the way in, matched to the pipe out, and an overflow to deal with issues. Critical that the inbox size is limited.

panzer:
Remnote - the first hierarchical spaced repetition note-taking software:
https://www.remnote.io

superboyac:
I agree with you I would like that ID hidden.  I don't know a way around it.
-superboyac (June 18, 2020, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Edit the markdown file so that the ID is commented out or put into front matter. Though that doesn't help if you review the files in edit mode.

Maybe zettlr will ignore anything hidden,  but I doubt it.
-Dormouse (June 18, 2020, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can do it with [[ID|Text to be shown]] - I think that's the syntax.  Make the ID the link, and describe it with text.
-wraith808 (June 18, 2020, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK I just tried is QownNotes and it works!  Awesome.
So I guess I should have this be the first line of all my notes.
I need some automation:
I need the number to be automatically generated, with a placeholder title, and the brackets.  Maybe the software has a shortcut for this already.  It has scripting so it's possible.
Next, I'd like a shortcut key where the actual filename is changed automatically to reflect the title I put in that part.

Also, could you guys give examples of how you start off your notes?  your headers, essentially?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version