ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free Web Space if you already have free domain?

<< < (3/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Just PM me on here with what plan you had in mind. I need a username, the domain name you want to use, which plan you had in mind, and an email I can send the account info to and contact you at if there are issues.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for replying.  Is there copy where I can read about the available plans?  What I'm looking to try is to create a few sample pages to try out the tool and also the prospective customers can see on their own machines when they load the url.

I did a site for my own software some years ago.  It was all html/css but that's not my forte.  I'm trying to find a tool I can afford that gives more options than navbar on top or navbar on side, if you know what I mean.  To do it all by hand I'm not sure I could survive until I developed the skills.  I guess I'm looking for the mythical Golden Mean that would let me make a small site in a day or two that didn't have the "newspaper front page" look.

I took a look at some of the sites by web design companies and they seem to go with subdued backgrounds and orderly columns.  Nothing jarring.  But they may be aimed more towards businesses.  I'm thinking more of quickie but solid inexpensive personal pages.  Programming is all learning curve.  I'm sure I'll have more focus once I get in the water and paddle around a bit.  :)

TaoPhoenix:
Hi Miles.

I think we might want to separate hosting from tools here. I have no agenda, Seraphim was my final study winner because just like now he jumps in to try to help.

Let's suppose Seraphim's basic hosting plan is 1 Gig of space. Let's say you two hit it off and you spread some good words besides me, he might give you a little more.

As for creating a new page, that's a different service altogether. I have no info on that at all. For ex if you got hold of some new page design you liked and the whole thing was under a Gig, upload it and have at it.

But as for analyzing whatever was weak about your old page and what you want to do with it, is way outside of my range. Seraphim may have a couple of ideas, but even though he offers free hosting if you want hard core web re-work I'd consider dropping him a donation whenever you can manage it. (I know, I saw the other threads, it will be a while, I am just laying out the groundwork!)

MilesAhead:
I appreciate your thoughts.  My idea is to create the page, then it's up to the customer to host it someplace.  Then as long as my html is valid I'm out of the picture and all is between the customer and his hosting provider.  I see ads for up to 3 pages for about $120.  But that supposedly has functionality for business.  I'm looking more to do one off nice looking personal sites relatively cheaply.  More or less "if it works and looks good I'm gone" type of deal.  Of course I would fix some problem in my code etc..  But I don't want somebody to own my attention for years for $75 or whatever ends up being the price.

My older brother was a Senior Software Engineer.  He used to lament that programs never go away.  There's always a new bug to fix.  He wanted to open a restaurant instead.  His business theory being, if they don't get food poisoning, once they use the bathroom, the warranty period is over.  :)

TaoPhoenix:
I appreciate your thoughts.  My idea is to create the page, then it's up to the customer to host it someplace.  Then as long as my html is valid I'm out of the picture and all is between the customer and his hosting provider.  I see ads for up to 3 pages for about $120.  But that supposedly has functionality for business.  I'm looking more to do one off nice looking personal sites relatively cheaply.  More or less "if it works and looks good I'm gone" type of deal.  Of course I would fix some problem in my code etc..  But I don't want somebody to own my attention for years for $75 or whatever ends up being the price.

My older brother was a Senior Software Engineer.  He used to lament that programs never go away.  There's always a new bug to fix.  He wanted to open a restaurant instead.  His business theory being, if they don't get food poisoning, once they use the bathroom, the warranty period is over.  :)

-MilesAhead (May 16, 2014, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh well fourth hand I wouldn't recommend anyone go from IT to opening a restaurant!

Back at the Webpages, Free Hosting is about people's little personal pages. Businesses are supposed to make a few bucks and should probably pay for hosting. But for ex if you are just getting started, and the web page client doesn't know what they want, sure. Not that I would imagine your code to "not be valid".

From my layman perspective creating a page is not at all about the 1-off. The managers will have new things to do with it, so it's a far longer term engagement, fees to be negotiated. It's tough news to have a 1-off that no one knows how to add to ever again.

So then off you go to create a page, off someone goes to upload it to Seraphim, and off the site goes into the wide world.

MilesAhead:
Heh well fourth hand I wouldn't recommend anyone go from IT to opening a restaurant!

--- End quote ---

Yeah, if it was me I'd probably name it something stupid like Quick Bytes - get Brek Fist Fast Ham & Eggs $3.  :)  So you want coffee?  Well it's gonna' run you a little more! :)

There was a kid in my grade school class in Catholic School who stuttered.  The nuns used the phonics method to teach reading.  The nun has him stand up.  She has the word "breakfast" split into syllables on the blackboard.  She's trying to get him to say the syllables individually.  Break Fast.  But every time he attempts it he says "Breakfast Fast."  Now I look back and think he was way ahead of his time.  People want to get their breakfast fast, no matter how you say it.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version