topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]  (Read 3670982 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! ElectroBoom.
« Reply #5450 on: December 23, 2017, 06:00 AM »
@barney: Yes, His technique is actually rather subtle:
  • Profess to be exploring something simple, as in "How exactly does a fluorescent lamp turn on?" - this familiar lighting device that most people will have been accustomed to using for years.
  • He clearly does not seem to know, but persistently begins to blindly explore the subject, bumbling along, using increasingly more dangerous and life-threatening tests - which merely serve to illustrate the ingenuity of the lamp and starter devices.
  • Each time he does one thing dangerous, he reacts appropriately, but seems to learn from it and eventually does it the "right" (and safe) way, explaining as he goes, as though he has just learned that safe practice.
  • I love it when the Tesla coil (one of the lab props in the background) suddenly appears on his desk, because he is then clearly demonstrating the interesting science of induction involved.
  • He eventually gets to "figuring out" how the starter switch works, but he's nowhere near finished yet, because he wants to exactly replicate the successful switching.
  • The role of the ballast coil is "deduced"/explained, and then how modern-day lamps have done away with the starter and ballast, consolidating them into a single electronic ballast switch.
  • But how to start the lamp? Both filaments in the lamp have now been blown!
  • "I don't have a ballast, or a starter. I need to find an inductor. Oh, yes. Say hello to my little ultra transformer." he says as he bends down and picks something up from the floor - it's a large rectangular red object!
  • He then proceeds to manually short two high-voltage wires together, replicating the role of a starter (which he does not have, of course).

I at first watched and cringed as this seemingly well-intentioned idiot started risking his life. Then it became clearer to me that he actually knew exactly what he was doing and that this was in fact a highly instructional video. but he still pretended to be ignorant. By which time, most viewers will have become glued to the video wondering whether he was going to kill/injure himself, but also, becoming increasingly interested - "Ahh, so that's how it works!". This, of course, was the object of the exercise, and the video can be replayed to review what might have slipped one's attention on the first pass.

I reckon he might be a science teacher and makes these well-crafted vids for the world at large and for his students, because to do it in a lab demonstration could be potentially dangerous to them. A student wouldn't be likely to forget such a video very quickly.
His safety tips are eased in carefully as well - in this video at an rate. Having apparently just googled the term "fluorescent lamp", he even mentions the dangerous mercury content of the lamp - "If you break one of these, make sure not to inhale the gasses."

There are no "accidents" in this vid. It is all carefully staged for max effect.

His blog at <http://www.electroboom.com/> is worth a read. A lot of good stuff in the archives there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:08 AM by IainB »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]
« Reply #5451 on: December 23, 2017, 07:01 AM »
This LiveLeak video had me larfing. The guy is very good.
How a Fluorescent Lamp Turns On
yes, that was very good :up:
seems he has a big following on YT as well, here his channel intro video

:D
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5452 on: December 24, 2017, 05:25 AM »
Screenshot - 2017-12-23 , 14_56_28.png

warning, in case you want to see more:
Oglaf.com is very NSFW
Tom

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5453 on: December 26, 2017, 07:26 PM »

Pennsylvania Woman Gets $284 Billion Electric Bill

Did she have a big Christmas lights display or alien hyperspace technology siphoning power from her?
Should she call the Ghostbusters to fix this or did someone's calls to Jupiter get on her electric bill?

The world’s smallest cell phone is so tiny you might accidentally swallow it.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

The world’s smallest cell phone is so tiny you might accidentally swallow it

Add another potential danger to cellphone use. Would it give you stomach cancer if you swallowed it?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:40 PM by Arizona Hot »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! - NSW Police sort out Telstra problems
« Reply #5454 on: December 31, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Funny, real life, classic outcome.
Looks like some tech-savvy cops in NSW (Australia) are helping the major ISP Telstra to cope with it's notorious backlog of customer complaints re fixing horrendously badly-installed customer connections. : ISP protester's problem solved by police called to remove him from store

Telstra clearly unable to cope.
Called to remove an understandably disgruntled customer who is protesting in the store, refusing to leave until his problem is addressed, the cops spot the real problem - poor service/communication.
Cops fix it via spontaneous hands-on intermediation/negotiation/resolution.
Ruddy brilliant policing. They could have just removed the protester - i.e., like they had been asked to do - but no, they looked for the causal problem - which wasn't easy to miss.

Hats off to the NSW cops!  :Thmbsup:   

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5456 on: January 04, 2018, 08:50 PM »
I will not be operational until my coffee arrives.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

I will not be operational until my coffee arrives

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5457 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47 AM »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5458 on: January 05, 2018, 11:19 AM »
"I believe Japan doesn't yet understand Christmas."
Very droll. That is priceless. Is it real or a photoshopped job?
I can't quite believe it.

EDIT: I checked on Snopes.com - <https://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santacross.asp>
 - but it just seems to pontificate with a load of spurious BS.
Seems to have gone to the dogs somewhat.

Still, it's an amusing pic, and the Japanese Shinto bias and culture probably means that they are unlikely to always fully understand Western/Christian customs/icons/values - though whether that is true in this case seems to be a moot point. (It could be a fake.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:33 AM by IainB »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5459 on: January 16, 2018, 08:15 AM »
MATH - When you absolutely, positively must piss someone off.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]   Yes, english can be weird.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]   Don't use a big word.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

MATH - When you absolutely, positively must piss someone off

Yes, english can be weird

Don't use a big word

I before e.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]   I before e 2.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]   How now brown cow.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

I before e

I before e 2

The meaning and origin of the expression: How now brown cow?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:40 AM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5460 on: January 17, 2018, 06:31 PM »
This dog looks like she's floating in a bubble.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]   A girl found her long-lost twin on the spine of a book she was reading.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]   The advertisement on the back of this truck lines up almost perfectly with its real-life surroundings.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

12 viral pictures that captured hilarious coincidences in real life

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5461 on: January 18, 2018, 01:20 AM »
Trigger warning!
  • Danger from falling irony and/or morbidity. An inability to comprehend irony may make viewers feel uncomfortable/confused.
  • The image below is of a true and representative chart depicting the statistical distribution of an STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection).
  • Some viewers may feel uncomfortable, or inexplicably "offended" or "feel funny inside" on viewing this image.
  • Viewers with  a fear/phobia of morbidity/disease may find the image below frightening.
  • The act of viewing the image below may cause de-calcification of the vertebrae, and some viewers may require spinal strengthening/reinforcement, post-viewing, especially if they already suffer from osteoporosis or Osteogenesis imperfecta or display weak spine symptoms (as I do).
  • Some viewers may conclude (incorrectly) that they could catch an STI from their computer if not properly protected whilst viewing that image on their computer's monitor/display screen. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE. It would thus be silly/pointless to attempt to put a condom over the monitor/keyboard - unless it was (say) done as a joke, or as an interesting experiment to see exactly how far these things do stretch (YMMV).
  • Showing the image to grandparents and old people may cause them to feel discomfited by the thought that their selfish generation(s) were arguably the cause of the initiation of the explosion in STDs, arising from the libertarian "Free Love" and "Flower Power", etc. era, arguably brought about by a blatant abandonment of prevailing social/cultural mores/standards and a huge increase in blatant sexual promiscuity, without any apparent consideration of the potential risks involved in such behaviours to the then current and future generations. These behaviours apparently triggered the legacy of a ticking epidemiological time-bomb, and which has brought about the harsh demographic reality of today's generations who find themselves faced with a seemingly unavoidable wall of STDs - some of which were unavoidably inflicted at birth and some of which are become drug-resistant or incurable - and a consequential loss of enjoyment of the potential experience of the joy of life. This could arguably make an ironic mockery of the idea of "free love", since the costs are seemingly to be born by today's and future generations.

18_842x580_85760A6F.png

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5462 on: January 20, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Clipboard01.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE MOST LIKELY CONFIRMED WHAT THE 11 HERBS AND SPICES ARE
Harlan Sanders' nephew, Joe Ledington, found a recipe for fried chicken in a scrapbook belonging to his mother (Sanders' second wife), and when The Chicago Tribune put the recipe to the test, they found that the resulting fried chicken was “indistinguishable” from a batch bought at KFC. Conveniently, that recipe indeed included 11 herbs and spices: salt, black pepper, white pepper, thyme, basil, oregano, celery salt, dried mustard, paprika, garlic salt, and ground ginger.

15 Things You Didn’t Know About Kentucky Fried Chicken

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5463 on: January 23, 2018, 10:20 PM »
Chinese man sparks explosion after biting iPhone battery to check authenticity.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Chinese man sparks explosion after biting iPhone battery to check authenticity

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5464 on: January 24, 2018, 06:43 AM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Chinese man sparks explosion after biting iPhone battery to check authenticity

:o WTF would posses someone to even think of trying something that absurd?!? Had he been watching an old spaghetti western marathon or something??

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5466 on: January 28, 2018, 03:50 PM »
If you are somebody's headache and you take aspirin, do you disappear?

If you give someone else a headache and they take aspirin, do you get it back?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5467 on: January 29, 2018, 12:55 PM »
If you are somebody's headache and you take aspirin, do you disappear?
If you give someone else a headache and they take aspirin, do you get it back?
Good philosophical questions!
Right up there with "the sound of one hand clapping", and "whether the tree falling unobserved in the forest makes a noise", or something.    :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5468 on: January 29, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Spotted this "spoof" video in my BazQux feed-reader. Made me smile - once I had figured out what it was all about. I hadn't seen the guy's videos before, but I'm a fan now!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5469 on: January 29, 2018, 02:48 PM »

Go to the site for a bonus comic: https://turnoff.us/geek/sex-robot/

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5470 on: January 31, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Flight with 85 plumbers on board forced to return to airport due to toilet trouble.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Flight with 85 plumbers on board forced to return to airport due to toilet trouble

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5471 on: February 13, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Don't you hate it when someone else is you and you can't be you? When this happens to me I choose to be 7 years old and wait until they are someone else.

Clipboard01.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:01 AM by Arizona Hot »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5472 on: February 13, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Say what now?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5473 on: February 13, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Say what now?

Don't try to understand- look at it as a Koan.  Ommmm...

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5474 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37 PM »
Say what now?

Don't try to understand- look at it as a Koan.  Ommmm...
Don't you hate it when someone else is you and you can't be you? When this happens to me I choose to be 7 years old and wait until they are someone else.

This is Silly Humor! This isn't silly enough?