ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

Any new ideas for small utilities?

<< < (13/14) > >>

dajo:
Whenever I disconnect my USB drive using the tray icon like a good Windows user, Windows says "Dude, you can't disconnect your drive now.  Try again later."  Well usually I am trying to disconnect my drive because I want to leave now not later.  Anyway it usually lets me disconnect if I try again immediately.  Although, sometimes it won't let go no matter what I do, and I have to shut down Windows to detach my drive safely.

So what's the idea for a small utility?  How about a usb drive disconnector tray applet that keeps trying to disconnect instead of saying "Try later"?  Or if it can't disconnect the drive, wouldn't it be nice if it would tell you why?  Like maybe you are sitting on a file, or you've got a subst on the drive or whatever.

kfitting:
Now that is a handy utility... I cant tell you how many times I'm CADing my system trying to find and kill the process that is holding open my usb <insert hardware here>.  Even if it doesnt automatically allow you to disconnect, just a message would be amazing!

kevin

imtrobin:
My suggestion, although may not be trival to code. I like to have desktop icons behave like the Start Menu button.. so I can categorize my desktop icons and have it open links to other programs when I click on it.

Scott:
Shortcuts that are actually toolbars...  Cool idea.

I think you'd need to have the shortcut run an application that determined the shortcut's onscreen position, and then overlayed it with the menu.

Scott:
How about a system volume scheduler?  I hate it when I hit a web site with a loud midi background theme at 2 AM and wake up everybody in the house.-dajo (July 03, 2005, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a cool idea for a utility.  There is a kludgy workaround, using Task Scheduler:  Run a utility that can alter the volume at whatever time(s) you want.  I use Task Scheduler to run NirCMD whenever I've stepped away from the computer for long enough, using the command line nircmd.exe setsysvolume 10000.  You can also have it mute the volume.

It may also be a good idea to put such a shortcut in your Startup folder, or run it from HKLM\...\Run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version