ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

iPhone feature which poses a high privacy risk everytime you take a picture?

(1/4) > >>

cpt.deckard:
Sure Geotagging is not news to anyone here, if it is watch ths ABC special report

but isn't it a bit crazy that you don't get a more clear warning first time you take a picture? Something which may say "WARNING: if you post pictures online anyone can track the location of where the pic was taken"...

I know it helps apps and is super useful, but how useful is it for the built-in camera to have this feature enabled...? or am I missing something?

Eóin:
Oh noes, the hackers have discovered exif data :o

Deozaan:
It's not just the iPhone that does this. Android phones do it as well, but AFAIK it is disabled by default and you have to enable it in the camera settings.

It is definitely something to be aware of.

Eóin:
I fully agree, it's a dangerous feature and people should be aware of it, but the "special report" was hilarious.

40hz:
I have never trusted iPhones.

With all the crazy restrictions and lockdowns placed on it, I have never used my iPhone once without the nagging feeling somebody someplace was watching everything I was doing. And I'm still not convinced that my turning off things like location tracking or the phone/network functions (2G/3G) really took me completely off AT&T's grid.

Both Apple and AT&T have demonstrated the capacity to lie with a straight face over voiced privacy concerns. Why should I believe that my pushing a little touch slider switch does anything more than keep me from doing something?

I've had apps upgrade themselves after I've repeatedly told them not to update. And I've had network tech utility apps downloaded from Apple disappear from my phone (without my consent) about the same time they were mysteriously removed from the app store.

I did not receive any notice from Apple that they were going to do this either before or after it happened. And when I queried Apple all I was told was that the apps in question no longer complied with Apple's guidelines and were therefor removed. When I complained, it was politely suggested I reread the iPhone EULA and AppStore T&C if I was "confused" about anything and wished a nice day.

After those incidents, there's nothing too negative for me to believe about this device. >:(

(Note: the iPhone EULA is 159 pages, and the AppStore T&S is an additional 7 last time I checked. Nice bedtime reading.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version