ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

iPhone feature which poses a high privacy risk everytime you take a picture?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Renegade:
If we can get back to the bare bones hardware deal but on phones where you get a default OS, but can install another, then we'll be much better off for privacy.

What am I saying? I'm clearly just bonkers. Please lock me up and get me a doctor!  :o

40hz:
If we can get back to the bare bones hardware deal but on phones where you get a default OS, but can install another, then we'll be much better off for privacy.

What am I saying? I'm clearly just bonkers. Please lock me up and get me a doctor!  :o
-Renegade (October 13, 2011, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Enter the men with the white coats.

That is not going to happen. The telcos have got every government so worried about people hacking the G networks that there's virtually noting generally available that is seriously unlocked. Half the phone manufacturers (after some arm-twisting if they want to sell their products in many places) are building hardware reset functionality into these devices. So even if you do jailbreak them they will just check for and reload their official OS from silicon either periodically or after a restart.

Smartphones are not going to be allowed to be open devices. Not to say there won't be ways developed (most likely a boot wedge) to get around it. It will just keep getting more bothersome and hassle-prone to do so.

iPhone feature which poses a high privacy risk everytime you take a picture?

There's no rest for 'the wicked' these days. ;D

Eóin:
Maybe in america, but so far in the EU you can still buy a phone "SIM free" and then hook it up to whatever network you wish. Throughout the 3rd world this is true too!

Stoic Joker:
I've had apps upgrade themselves after I've repeatedly told them not to update. And I've had network tech utility apps downloaded from Apple disappear from my phone (without my consent) about the same time they were mysteriously removed from the app store.

I did not receive any notice from Apple that they were going to do this either before or after it happened. And when I queried Apple all I was told was that the apps in question no longer complied with Apple's guidelines and were therefor removed. When I complained, it was politely suggested I reread the iPhone EULA and AppStore T&C if I was "confused" about anything and wished a nice day.-40hz (October 13, 2011, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um... Wow! ...Please tell me you're not still using that silly contraption. I generally consider myself to be a patient person ... But I'd disassemble that thing with a chainsaw - In the phone store - if that ever happend.

jgpaiva:
Actually, this is a "feature" in some cameras. When I bought mine, I actually pondered buying one of those with geotagging, it looks like a very cool idea when you are on vacations to be able to see the itinerary you made and remember which location each photo corresponds to.
However, I do agree that there should be an easy way to remove the information before uploading it anywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version