ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera Unite: a server within the browser. Opera innovating as it used to

(1/3) > >>

urlwolf:
http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2009/06/16/

What do you think?

justice:
From what I can read on the official site and walkthrough:

Very confusing name - it took me a few minutes to understand what it was. also the server connotation doesn't really help - I would describe it as p2p for personal data. Then again when doing something now it's hardto accurately position it.
Great idea - just enabling functionality to cut out the middle man. No worrying about how much data you can use. Great that you can write applications on it.

How are they going to market? It's promoted very techy for something that tries to take away the techy side of things. They should look at dropbox and apple. Reinvents the web doesn't do anything for me. But a p2p for personal data and applikcation platform sounds very cool.

Now of course I'm looking for the Opera Unite app store, is there any - I don't see anything obvious - maybe after installing it.

justice:
I see a FAQ on why is my service rejected so it seems they are looking into going that appstore route, which is great - so I'm wondering why they haven't got enough services in there yet to advertise them.

Ampa:
Just installed it - too early to say what my opinion is; but I agree that it is too difficult to describe in the way they are currently marketing it!

Now, if only I had some friends, then I could test it! :(

Update: Played with a few of the apps / widgets now, and am surprised by the lack of configurability or Web2.0-ness.

For example - the Fridge app lets me add tiny notes (40 characters, which is almost too short!) to anyone's message board, but there is no control over placement, colour, font, or size. Also the Fridge door has a number of fridge magnets on it, adding to the theme, but I can't move these, or customise them in any way.

Sure, this is only release 1 and essentially a proof of concept, so I guess these things will come with time; but what a missed opportunity to capture people's imagination!

Rightly or wrongly, I'd be much more likely to use Fridge if I could add my own Cody magnet and make my notes turquisoe and purple!

fenixproductions:
With my love+hate Opera relationship I can only wish them the best.

Personally: I don't like an idea of sharing personal info via P2P. I also wish serious biting for their heads. That is the only way for them to not to repeat their desktop browser marketing scenario. I wrote it many times in the past: they were always advertising Opera as something for tech guys (call them chosen ones) and never understood that they should start with "Even monkey can do it". Mozilla did it perfectly ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version