ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera Unite: a server within the browser. Opera innovating as it used to

<< < (3/3)

Josh:
And along with what fenix said, many features opera "implements" tend to stagnate after final release.

Ampa:
Many features opera "implements" tend to stagnate after final release.
-Josh (June 16, 2009, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

That certainly happened with the Widgets. I installed a few such as the calculator, colour picker and tv guide when the feature was first added, but over the years all have been replaced by websites or better external tools.

With Unite the alternatives already exist, so Opera will have to do something very special if this is really to take off. The user interface and associated jargon will make or break the product, and given that 50% of the comments on this and every other site on the web are of the nature "Eh? What? Can someone explain what this actually is?" today's launch seems to be doing more harm than good!

kartal:
This sounds great, but why would I need to signup with them to run a web server?. I like the idea and I think that is how it will be in the future but I am not signing up with anyone so that they can direct my connection(and who knows what else)

Here is a dead simple http server for file sharing, no signup no nothing is required. Just run and give your ip adress

http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

Lashiec:
The user interface and associated jargon will make or break the product, and given that 50% of the comments on this and every other site on the web are of the nature "Eh? What? Can someone explain what this actually is?" today's launch seems to be doing more harm than good!
-Ampa (June 16, 2009, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, looks like we're reading different sites :). Most people seem to understand what Unite is about, and negative comments are mostly directed to the possible security and copyright implications, apart from the typical "Opera" comments, ya know ;)

The idea surely sounds nice and cool, its success depends on what developers achieve with it, and what hurdles Opera create for the service, I hope they do not go their own way as always, and that they learned something from the iPhone App Store (treat your users and your developers right). If it goes well, I can see people using this to set up access to their home computer from everywhere and using any device, kind like a personal file server, but with more possible uses in the future (your own Remember the Milk, for example?). Also, developers could create replacements for popular web services, and in case one of them go down, you could continue to use it from your own computer.

After a sympathetic opinion, a critical analysis. He gained a reader, and Asa Dotzler recovered one feed subscription :D

The most impressive thing about Unite is that Opera managed to generate buzz and get everyone talking about it in a couple of days. Well done, even more considering that the release of the first beta of Opera went mostly ignored by the tech pundits, while broken alphas of Chrome for Linux and Mac received widespread coverage.

Lutz_:
To me Opera Unite sounds like a very cool project. I guess the opportunities are tremendous for creative developers.  The plans seem to be going in part into the direction of Google Wave, which itself seems very elegant.  I really do not mind the required usage of a free Opera account. What worries me a bit is the ecological side of the technology - everybody is going to run his own private server at home 24/7 and happily keep burning the kilowatts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version