ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which operating system you like most....

<< < (8/15) > >>

f0dder:
Can you really think that $3K for a high quality tower is insane?
-donco666 (September 30, 2008, 12:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah. That kind of cash should get you at least a quadcore with 8gigs of ram, GPU in the GeForce 8800 or better class, fast harddrives, high-quailty tower and powerful PSU.

When mentioning OS X, hardware and cash does come into the picture, since you're really limited to what Apple offers... unless you're building frankenmacs. Which Apple really really really doesn't want you to.

zridling:
Apple lost 13% of its value with the crash on 9/29. The market for $1000+ computers is shrinking as we speak.

Darwin:
OTH, OSX is ridiculously cheap compared to Windows. $129 gets you a DVD with the OS on it. Period. No worrying about multiple different releases (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, etc) at different price points. No "update" releases, etc. Of course, you fork this out every 1 to 3 years for point updates (10.1 => 10.2, etc.), if you want to keep up with the latest and the greatest, but each new release adds features and improves the operating system.

Darwin:
Apple lost 13% of its value with the crash on 9/29. The market for $1000+ computers is shrinking as we speak.
-zridling (September 30, 2008, 01:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's hard to know what is going to happen with the price of computers - the market for higher end computers will shrink because people won't be able to justify the expense. OTH, the cost of sourcing materials for them and then transporting them will presumably become more expensive as the cost of fuel goes up. I suppose that other factors will be demand drying up as consumers have less money to spend... But then, labour costs in some of the countries heavily involved in the production of computer components may actually go down...

I gambled and bought a new computer on the assumption that the price was going to go up this year. I'm regretting that now, because system prices DO look to be going down. Thankfully, the price I paid is still less than the current retail price on that system...

zridling:
[Darwin]: OSX is ridiculously cheap compared to Windows. $129 gets you a DVD with the OS on it. Period. No worrying about multiple different releases (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, etc) at different price points. No "update" releases, etc. Of course, you fork this out every 1 to 3 years for point updates (10.1 => 10.2, etc.), if you want to keep up with the latest and the greatest, but each new release adds features and improves the operating system.
--- End quote ---

Great point, Darwin, and a great selling point for Apple. I've always said that ANY software sold to consumers should be the "ultimate" version, and then let the user decide which parts not to install.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version