ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which operating system you like most....

<< < (7/15) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
How often do you need to resize partitions? Sure, it's an advantage that you can do it, but just how much "value" does this add? For me, it would be none... I don't trust partition resizes... there's potential for losing a lot of data if something goes wrong :)
-f0dder (August 10, 2008, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
If your installing Linux for the first time, or you dual partitioned a hard drive and want to combine it (ex: OEM "backup" partitions) it comes in handy.

The new start menu in Vista is nice enough, but since I use FARR, I hardly ever use the menu.

Visual tweaks? Ugh. I hate the Aero look of Vista. Unfortunately, it's all-or-nothing - you can't get Aero acceleration with the classic theme, how mindbogglingly silly design is that? And Microsoft obviously doesn't support custom themes unless they're signed by MS, so you have to resort to hacks to get a different look.
--- End quote ---

If you use it (or use applications that use it: Switcher is a great app) it becomes the new Luna. Everyone complained how XP made their computer look all "cartoony". Now you go with a classic, professional glass appearance and everyone complains about that.

The sleep mode in vista totally obliterates XP's wannabe Stand By mode (major plus for mobile users).-wreckedcarzz
--- End quote ---
How so?
--- End quote ---

I have read multiple times over the internet that their battery life increased by hours in Sleep vs Stand By (2 hours comes to mind, but I read it a while back so not sure). Also, it is more reliable than Stand By (sometimes XP would just turn off, or crash, or it would wake back up immediately/randomly (I have had the 3rd problem personally, very annoying).

The wifi, you can not beat the wifi manager on Vista. It just works.-wreckedcarzz
--- End quote ---

Heh. The amount of problems I've had with Vista wi-fi, ugh. And the diagnostics were useless - basically "uh oh, didn't work" shit. Was reaaaally obvious that I had to drop to an administrative-rights cmd.exe shell and use a cryptic netsh commandline to disable "auto-tuning", oh yes. With XP, my experience has been that things just worked, no need for broken diagnostics in the first place.-f0dder (August 10, 2008, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Every time I have used the diagnostic tool it has helped me. It is just a series of questions, then it runs tests based on your answers, and repeat until it locates an issue. Strange it doesn't work for you.

Too bad DX10 isn't going to be ported to XP (and don't give me crap about "it's new architecture and can't be done" yadda yadda, it's perfectly doable), so eventually I'll probably have to go Vista (or the next version, anyway) if I want to play games. But as it is now, not many games support/require DX10, and the ones that have it optional don't get that much advantage from it anyway.
--- End quote ---

That's like wanting to put AERO on XP or Windows Defender on 2k. Not gonna happen. If you make a product and it has a major selling point, your not going to give it to the older versions.

Personally, I have several games that have DX10 support (and I have taken advantage of it, in lieu of the cut frame rate (single core can't do it all anymore)). If you want the latest bleeding edge, DX9 is just so much more... yuck after you see DX10. It is like HDR vs "traditional" lighting.

Note that this wasn't meant as a diss, if you're happy with Vista, that's fine and good. Just wanted to say that I don't particularly like it, and don't see much advantage in it over XP... it does have some base features that are better, but who runs a base OS with no extras? And, for me, it has so many little annoyances that the overall experience is worse than XP. I'd sure love having the enhanced prefetch, prioritized I/O and transactional NTFS, but meh.

I'm getting a laptop soon, so there's probably no way around Vista I guess - it's such a nightmare hunting for XP laptop drivers now :(. So I guess it might be time to see how many annoyances can be fixed with vlite, and then give it a chance. But I have a suspicion that I'll end up hunting for XP drivers after all :)
--- End quote ---

Everyone has an opinion :)

Just my rebuttal :two:

Eóin:
I switched to Vista after SP1 came out and I got a new PC even though I had bought Vista back at the very beginning, I just never used it.

It grew on me very quickly I have to say once I gave it a fair go, now I love it.

donco666:
...It all looks pretty, but it lacks any kind of customization at all....And the "Mac's are oh so perfectly secure" is all talk. I (inadvertently) scared the teacher into thinking that my iMac had a virus on it, because my portable hard drive malfunctioned! Talk about confidence in your products!
(And this PC has never seen a malicious program)
-wreckedcarzz (August 10, 2008, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Modify: OK, that was weird. By clicking on "Quote" the quote got entered by itself without my actually clicking to enter a post. The following post was intended to accompany the quote.

donco666:
To wreckedcarzz:
1) I use both Windows and Mac almost daily. I find Mac easily customizable with a couple of freeware utilities. For example, my Tiger Dock has floating icons with no Dock area showing. My windows (generic) can be dragged by any side.
2) When you try to criticize the security of OS X, you seem to have gotten off track. Even I can give better examples of security problems but you seem to have shifted over to faulting a school teacher for her caution that you interpret as lack of confidence. Even if you can convince us that the teacher had no confidence, the single situation is anecdotal at best.
3) "Insane amount of cash"? Do you mean to buy OS X or to buy the hardware? That gets us off the "best OS" topic but I will go with it if you think it is important. I guess the school should have bought Mac Minis for $500 each (maybe less with their edu discount). I think "insane" would mean something like seven grand each. Can you really think that $3K for a high quality tower is insane?

CleverCat:
Still love XP - I'm heavily into customization and eye candy and I have Stardock ODT.

Switching to Vista would cost me a bomb R900 for OS and a whole hardware upgrade would be around R2000! On my Disability pension, I'd have to borrow heavily from my bank.

I use the BOM  Bank Of Mother!  ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version