ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > SMF Forum Mods

DC SMF Search Mod - an improvement search for smf forum (codename Zillarank)

<< < (4/11) > >>

mouser:
I should note that wordzilla himself was not angry about this, and he isn't the one causing the ruckus -- it's really just me in a very foul mood about what i see as a really bad sign about what's going on at smf.

Maybe my mood will calm down about this, but I'll tell you, if you ever see me reacting like they did to someone offering an improvement to this site or one of my programs, please shoot me immediately.

cranioscopical:
I understand you are just doing your job but I'd really like the smf coders to take a reconsider if this is the approach they want to take with these things, it's just the wrong attitude in my opinion.  We included a mod, and then the patched version of one file.  It's just silly to object to that.  For people like me who do not use package mods and modify the files themselves, stopping people from including a modified file is insane.
--- End quote ---

I understand your frustration and often share such feelings when dealing with some of my clients. (In my time I've rendered considerably more pithy responses than these.) Even so, "wrong attitude", "silly", and "insane" are probably not the best-chosen terms to gain co-operation.

Also, instead of pointing out what you want, try headlining the benefits to them. Nobody likes to be told they're wrong, especially not those who are!  It makes little-thinkers intransigent.

Wordzilla:
As u know mouser has just removed all of his mods on official smf site in protest and I just took my search mod offline in support.

Mouser's been complaining about smf search on SMF forum for over a year, elaborating on detailed cases where smf search fails (and it still does). A few really great guys at SMF posted improved scripts for mouser and our forum -- nevertheless as I read his posts I believe his requests went mostly unheeded.

When mouser asked me to work on this mod back a week ago, he told me in excitement that many SMF forum users will be benefited from my mod if it's a success and we'll be able to contribute "big time" to SMF community.

And as soon as the mod was released, mouser posted on SMF forum to tell ppl there that our improved search mod was available for download.

It's just unacceptable for an SMF official to say, without a "thank you", but:
"If we don't see this fixed by Friday, we will be forced to escalate the issue (and we really don't want to have to do it, it is a waste of time for everyone)."
--- End quote ---

I'm not saying the SMF person was technically wrong on this, s/he pointed out my license violation and did her/his job -- technically no question about that.

It's still upsetting me that whilst all of our released mod are about open-source, share, community contribution, someone (maybe more ppl) in SMF are thinking the corporation way, the litigation way -- right off their mind!

I don't think mouser and I ever developed mods for profits (not even donations), personal fame, etc. We want our users to enjoy our product as easy as possible, to make life easier for them, since web stuff isn't really simple -- often you f*ck up things without even knowing what went wrong.

it would be a pity to deny the larger community of SMF users the chance to benefit from the good work that's just been completed here.
--- End quote ---

Exactly. SMF Community is simply great (SO FAR). Some gurus there were really helpful to me sorting out my tricky installer problems and I really appreciate it.

We don't want SMF to lapse into a corporation run by corporate-minded ppl -- from a pro-open-source community where ppl care, develop and share. That's why we protest for a change to their licensing policy. :)

Anyways, I'll still be improving SMF search (currently just for DC), so don't hide bugs from me!!  ;D

hamradio:
Maybe we should post about it on digg and let the whole world know how they feel when someone tries to help them for free. Count me out of ever using SMF if I ever have a forum I need to setup I was looking at it for possibly one that I may need to setup, but now its moved to the bottom of the list (even under the pay forums) and even further if they are going to continue to act in this manner. I give them :down: :down:. Hate to act like this but that is my feelings on the issue.  Hope you all understand.

nudone:
i admit my first reaction was to suggest that SMF was dropped completely in order to use some other open source forum setup. i didn't say that because i realise it's impractical - but if i could wave a magic wand i would make it so.

i hope you find out that 'they' are more understanding and that 'they' don't all share the same hardline approach to the rules they love to enforce.

again, i don't know the back story to the search problem with SMF but so far it sounds like they've been upset by a few things - 1. that their search method is crap, 2. that they are incapable of rectifying their crap search method, 3. that someone had the cheek to make a search method that worked without any of their input - because they are so crap, 4. their personal pride has been destroyed because someone now wants to rub their noses in it by distributing a better search mod, 5. etc.

some people just can't take constructive criticism and get all defensive about their work when you try to help - but threatening legal action makes me wonder if there are other things provoking their reaction. perhaps they've had several occasions already that they felt the need to state their ownership of SMF in a legal manner and so the newly submitted search mod caused a reflex negative response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version