ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech Talk: Linus Torvalds on git

<< < (3/4) > >>

steeladept:
And the tools... ugh. msysgit is one big crapball. libexec/git-core has 110 git-*.exe of around 964KB each. Haven't the developers heard of static linking? Or NTFS hardlinks? (just about all of the files are identical, and those that aren't probably should have been) - at the very least, they could've made a 4kb-or-less executable that simply launch git.exe with argv[0] replaced... it also seems superfluous that it always installs perl5, tcl, vim et cetera instead of being able to use already installed locations, if present. Even after hardlinking the identical files (which saved me ~90MB iirc), my git install folder is ~120MB on disk. Contrast that with 7.5MB for subversion.

Then there's TortoiseGit... which does seem to work OK, but it requires the use of msysgit - and it does show that it depends on commandline tools and stdout piping, rather than a proper "libgit". Status progress isn't updated smoothly, and things seem a bit flaky here and there.

IMHO it's pretty darn arrogant of Linus (and whoever maintain git now) to not really consider Windows at all, but requiring posix emulation crapola. Since the git cmdline tools don't deal with GUI and probably don't require advanced OS features, how hard would it be to encapsulate os-specific details? Pretty typical, anyway... "portable" usually means "to posix systems" only - and often you're lucky if portable doesn't just mean "to (most) linux distributions".
-f0dder (February 03, 2010, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

You imply that these are not particularly difficult issues to work around as long as you know what you are doing.  Is this something you could fairly easily repackage into a "WinGit" package that would make it more friendly?  Just asking, because it sounds like something that would be well received and a fairly simple branch off the main project (if someone were willing).

f0dder:
You imply that these are not particularly difficult issues to work around as long as you know what you are doing.  Is this something you could fairly easily repackage into a "WinGit" package that would make it more friendly?  Just asking, because it sounds like something that would be well received and a fairly simple branch off the main project (if someone were willing).-steeladept (July 20, 2010, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
It should be fairly simple - I dunno which installer they use, but even if it's fairly limited one could do an install step that runs a tool which either creates NTFS hardlinks, or or populates the git-blah[/b].exe with argv[0]-replacing-dummy-thing mentioned above :)

Probably not the most objective reason: but I think I'll consider looking at Bazaar or Mercurial instead of git because (judging from the transcript) I just don't like Linus' arrogant and unfriendly attitude.-phitsc (July 20, 2010, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
+1 for that. It's sorta funny, but mostly just... sad. Yes, other projects might have made (very) poor choices, and git might very well be superior; but Linus' level of rudeness really puts me off. One thing is Joe Random ranting on a blog, but somebody in Linus' position? Ugh.

tinjaw:
Off Topic or On Tangent. Not sure which this is, but...

RE: Linus' attitude. At the risk of pissing you off, let me say that I believe it's a matter of perspective and that, in my case, the attitude is a plus for git. First of all, remember the venue: Very smart people with opinions and focused domain knowledge at Google invite other very smart people with opinions and focused domain knowledge to enlighten them quickly. Every one at Google can read "unbiased" reviews like everyone else, but they have the *privilege* of being able to have the combination pep-rally and firehose-fed education session quickly and unburdened with "social graces" and "distorted marketing fluff". Taken as the example, a bunch of very smart people at Google use Perforce and probably know it very well - to the point that they know its limitations. If they have work to get done they go straight to the source (pun intended) and get somebody like Linus to explain why they should switch now, quickly, and without looking back. Kind of.

And here is the part that will piss some of you off (based on your comments about Linus' presentation)...

I'm intelligent, more so than your average person. (Why should I deny it or hide it?) And I have been doing what I do for a living for many years. And I do it well. And I am very busy. If you want me to present on a topic I know, I will expect you to know the basics and some of the intermediate topics as a minimum. I will expect you to have focused experience in a related topic. I expect you to have opinions on that related topic and using it to infer things about the topic I am presenting on. I also assume, since I am busy, and you have convinced me to present, that you want an "intense" session because you will do your homework first. You are not there to be complimented, but to be educated. And if I know you have a preference/tendency/opinion in direct or partial conflict with mine, you have asked me to present because you want me to give it my best shot at convincing you are wrong, and stop you from wasting your time on your current path, or further convincing you that you are correct and save you from taking the time to explore my position/path/etc.

Unless, of course, you are British. Then I expect you to be civil and courteous even as you are scolding me and calling me an idiot.

So, in short, when you get intelligent people together that share a common domain, the best conversations/lectures/presentations are controversial and opinionated.

rgdot:
<offtopic or something> Just do like I do, For every 'commit' use power pro *keys to open the save dialog box and then insert file name with a time stamp...my very own version control   ;)

Deozaan:
For what it's worth, this tech talk convinced me to get Mercurial, simply because it's so similar to git  but it works with Windows without any hassle.

In other words, I think Linus was spot on and he did a good job convincing me that a distributed source control system is the better system. But my needs require ease of use and Windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version