ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OpenDNS - safer, faster and smarter DNS

<< < (3/6) > >>

davidu:
David: I assume you are associated with opendns?
-Josh (February 01, 2008, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Founder, CEO, occasional janitor.  :D

iphigenie:
it's not hijacking google, its just an affiliate thingie. and i think it's perfectly fine.

Some sites make their finance via amazon affiliates, others via search referrals

google for example is a major source of income for the mozilla/firefox projects, because they are set up as a partner and get a small amount of money for searches and adwords done from the default search in the browsers. Similarly opera seems to have a deal with yahoo etc. Many ISPs do too.

I was not suggesting they are doing anything sneaky, such as sneakily putting affiliate codes on ecommerce links - but as far as i am concerned they would be perfectly entitled to do so (if they said they did, ofc)

Whenever I make an amazon purchase i go to a site l like and use their affiliate link - and i would have no qualms if i used someone's DNS service if when I dont have an affiliate code in my amazon link they put theirs.

iphigenie:
Still, third party DNS services are a good thing

I used to have a DNS server in the basement, it was a backup for our web dev agency's DNS servers (2 in the office, 2 in founders homes etc.). BUt I also put a caching proxy dns for my own access. It's nice not to rely on the flaky DNS of the main ISPs (virgin/telewest in the uk are iffy for weeks at a time)

Right now I dont bother doing my own, not even for my own domains, too lazy. I guess I paid my dues - i no longer run my own email or dns, i just pay for a decent service somewhere.

jgpaiva:
Welcome to DC, david!!

We didn't do that for a reason.
-davidu (February 01, 2008, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think i understand. You mean you give people a proxy address for google instead of google itself, but for no reason?

(notice that i'm not accusing you, i think you provide a great service and have used it when my isp's dns went down, i'm just wondering what your reasons for this would be).

davidu:
Welcome to DC, david!!

We didn't do that for a reason.
-davidu (February 01, 2008, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think i understand. You mean you give people a proxy address for google instead of google itself, but for no reason?
-jgpaiva (February 01, 2008, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry -- Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I meant that we deliberately show the "google.navigation.opendns.com" domain name to make it transparent that we're doing the proxying.  We didn't have to do that (make it obvious what we were doing).  We could have instead just made it say www.google.com and very few people would have ever noticed. 

Not sure if I was any clearer here.  My brain needs more caffeine. :-)  Thanks for the kind welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version