ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Xnview vs. Irfan View

<< < (5/5)

rjbull:
hi rj-

we've been having a running discussion of the file open/save dialog box extenders.
see this post: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=506.0

in fact we are going to do a review of them very soon.

sounds like you are one of us who couldn't live without such a tool :)
-mouser (August 26, 2005, 05:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Found that afterwards  :-/  Actually, I found a way round it for what I wanted to do.  That was, print out the first pages, only, of a series of PDF files.   Eventually I realised that all I had to do was point Total Commander at the directory they were in.  Because Acrobat reader is a known application to TC, all I had to do was Alt-Tab to TC, move the cursor down one, and hit Enter...  Later I discovered the freeware PDF Toolkit, so now I use pdftk to construct a new PDF file out of the front pages, and just print that complete.

pdftk - PDF toolkit

http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

lanux128:
boy was i embarassed to find that out.-mouser (August 30, 2005, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

me too... & i've been using irfanview since earlier versions of 2.8x ;-)
anyway, thanks mouser...

best regards,
lanux

vevola:
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts regarding this topic now, since these posts date back to 2005. Both apps have changed. What do you think now?

Edvard:
I've switched to XnView entirely.
The background color for the 'cut' function is now settable, which was a bit of a pain before, and the print dialog is WAY beefed up from the version I was using.
It's still a little slow generating thumbnails of pdf files when you're viewing the contents of a folder and there are pdf's in there, but it's gotten faster as of a version or two back.

On the downside, the Linux version is a horrible-looking feature-less pile of mess that makes me wonder if it's even the same program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version