ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buying a 2TB SSD to replace my 2TB HDD

(1/4) > >>

BGM:
For some time now I have been considering to replace my workstation's HDD with an SSD.

* 2TB HDD with partitions for C and D
* 2TB HDD with partitions for K and I
* 128GB SSD used for IRST acceleration and also for system's paging file
* 250GB nvMe SSD where I keep Waterfox, FreeCommander and Thunderbird (the disk was unstable when I got it, but haven't had any trouble since; but didn't want to trust an OS to it)
And my questions for y'all are these:

* When SSDs first became popular, everyone warned how heavy usage would run them down, but that's a long time ago now.  I'm sure they are more viable now.
* What SSD should I buy?

Shades:
And my questions for y'all are these:

* When SSDs first became popular, everyone warned how heavy usage would run them down, but that's a long time ago now.  I'm sure they are more viable now.
* What SSD should I buy?-BGM (August 16, 2019, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

* Yes and no. The first models were indeed troublesome. To fix those problems manufacturers started to use better quality components. And that did work out well for the costumers. But better quality components means more costs, so nowadays manufacturers use different techniques to get away with more or less the same service life, but at a much lower price for them. In a way that is good for the consumer as well, as prices dropped significantly. But you should take into consideration how you are planning to use your SSD(s). For some use cases, it is better not to get SSD(s) that use MLC. It won't perform as well and has a shorter service life. The controller on those SSD(s) are decent enough and do make the best use of the capabilities of those SSD(s).
* You hardly go wrong with Samsung drives. But those have a price tag that your budget might not agree with. I have here a few SanDisk SSDs deployed and I must say that those perform good enough for their price. Those are way cheaper than Samsung. I read positive stories about Kingston SSD drives too. then again, you are going to trust your data with those drives, so the more expensive Samsung drives are likely your best bet.

BGM:
Shades, what is MLC for an SSD?
Samsung, eh?  I always thought Western Digital was the best.  All my HDDs are WD Black.

mouser:
samsung seems to make some of the best SSD.

Many of us are running a combination of a good SSD as the C drive, and then a traditional large HD as D drive.  There are some advantages of this:
1. You don't have to get as big an SSD.
2. With 2 hds, you can more easily backup your system drive to the traditional large HD.
3. Even the largest most expensive SSD cannot compare with capacity of cheap traditional HD.

Downsides:
1. Worry of running out of space on your C drive.
2. No speedup of access of data files on D drive.

Deozaan:
I agree with mouser, and have a similar setup as he described.

I bought a 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD a few months ago for about $150. It's nice and fast, and a big upgrade from my cramped 128 GB SSD. (Normally I wouldn't spend quite that much, but I was working on some projects that were using up a lot of space and required the speed of the SSD, and I wanted to be extra sure I'd have enough room for the foreseeable future.)

I think maybe 512 GB to 1 TB is a pretty good spot for the main Windows OS drive. It gives you enough room to install the OS and store files in the unmovable User (AppData) directory where everything seems to go these days. I often had to resort to trickery (junctions) to free up space on my 128 GB SSD as Windows OS drive. While it can still be a bit pricey for a 1 TB SSD, it's in a reasonable price range IMO, especially if you go down a step to the 512 GB drive.

I also have a 5 TB HDD (Western Digital Black) where I store most of my files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version