ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buying a 2TB SSD to replace my 2TB HDD

<< < (4/4)

BGM:
Thanks, Ath - yeah, but that 2TB nvme chip is $400.  It's $100 cheaper to get two 1TB chips. 
I have two nvme slots on my board.

I did find this 2TB SSD disk for $179 at Best Buy.

I want to replace my C drive with the OS and all the programs.  Right now that drive is an HDD, and I run backups every evening on the important parts.  I guess I could run a Macrium Reflect clone to an external HDD every couple days, though; think that would wear down my SSD too much?

Shades:
I want to replace my C drive with the OS and all the programs.  Right now that drive is an HDD, and I run backups every evening on the important parts.  I guess I could run a Macrium Reflect clone to an external HDD every couple days, though; think that would wear down my SSD too much?
-BGM (November 28, 2019, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

To my knowledge, the writing of data to any (type of) SSD drive is the main cause of wearing them out. The reading of data barely "scratches the paint', so to say.

An external HDD is one of the easiest ways to make pretty secure backups. And if you use one that has a "spinner" inside, that should last you a long time if you take care of it. Using one that has an SSD drive in it, the daily scheduled backups would wear out the backup drive. Especially if you are "bluntly" making copies of all files, instead of only the changed files or just the parts of files that have changed. The latter methods reduce write-actions to the drive significantly. Cloning is in essence a "blunt" copy of all files.

Wearing out of a backup drive is something you really don't want to do, it is your backup after all. Besides, using a portable HDD with a SSD inside is often overkill. A "spinning" hard drive comes with cache memory nowadays, which make them quite a lot faster. And with that boost in speed, these drives have little to no problem keeping up with the speed of the data flowing through the USB ports on your machine. In practice, theoretical speed differences are, more often than not, nullified by overhead in the operating system. For those few times that this is not the case, you do notice that a portable HDD with a SSD is "smoother" in operation. Don't know if the offset in costs are worth it, though.

BGM:
When I say SSD, I mean Solid State Disk; When I say HDD, I mean Hard Disk Drive - a spinning one.  I plan to back up the SSD I get to an HDD.  I would never choose an SSD as a backup disk.

Anyway, the real point of my thread is to figure out what SSD to get for the best money. 

I can get a WD Blue 1TB nvme for $100.

Whereas the Samsung EVO is $150.

Is there much difference in the two?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version