topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Eudora, Hermes and Pandora - also compared to TheBat! and other email clients  (Read 60215 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Hermes people spent a lot of energy on the mission-critical elements, especially the encryption and certificate issues, since that could make and break Eudora.

Virtual mailboxes, the best added feature there imho, would be wonderful, and they give a sketch of what they would like to do, but timing is simply unknown.

With Pandora you have, I believe, one developer, and he knows the code inside out. I still have to look at the virtuals.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I, personally, find virtual mailboxes highly distracting now that I know what they do.  ;D

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe we have a different idea about what is a virtual mailbox?

It is like a saved search, updated as new mail comes in, or is moved.

Where do you see it on Pandora?

Thanks!

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Right-click the root folder (usually named "Mail"), press and hold Shift, click "New...", leave Shift.
(A lot of things are - undocumented - reachable by pressing Shift at the right moment.)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!

Now, how do you tell mail that it should be in that virtual box.

In TheBat! you can define what is in the box by a right-click, nothing like that here.
I looked around a bit in Searches (TheBat! lets you morph a search into a new virtual mailbox) ..
And I looked around in filters.

Any help appreciated! 

========================

Setting up filters seems to be quirky, although theoretically Pandora can import the Eudora filters.

Looking for how to execute manual filters on highlighted mail (a good feature of Eudora).

And I do not see how you can prescribe various actions, in order, once you have the criteria.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:26 AM by Steven Avery »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Uhh.

Honestly, I have no idea.  ;D
I guess it works via filter actions, as many things do...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the bat is going ribbon??!!  ugh.  pretty unnecessary.  it better be very customizable.

Alt-L....yea...i totally gave up on microed many years ago.  i just cant see a single practical advantage to microed.  i just use the plain windows option.  i just want it to wrap with the window size automatically.  i dont want to force it to wrap after XX characters.  just wrap with the window LIKE EVERY OTHER WINDOWS PROGRAM. 

I'm surprised there are not more email clients out there. 

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How many do you need?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
According to screenshots and reports, The Bat! version 9 (currently at 9.0.0.x) is very slow, but the ribbons can be disabled everywhere but in the Compose windows.

Facebook link:
https://facebook.com...ts/10157552017414120

Yup, still happy about changing the client.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the ribbon literally adds nothing.  and i bet they still won't change or fix anything with microed or the editor (you know, the part of an email program you spend the most time in).  lol at two lines of text  below the icons in the editor, holy cow.  all that space for what?  buttons nobody uses more than once a year?

and why would they put in a ribbon now?  its been like 10 years since the ribbon controversy started.  why go back to it now?  we are waaaay past it and we were glad the bat didnt do it then, why now?  i still believe ritlabs, when they do their updates, they do literally the bare minimum.  not that its bad...i like the program and it works well.  but they will not fix any major bugs or make any major improvements.  if you look at their last 10 years of version history, its all stuff nobody even cares about.  and i bet, they just fix a couple of easy things here and there.  now they are going to make it seem like they are doing a big improvement with the ribbon, but again, its minor.  they are going to put a ribbon, and everything else will remain as is.  so great, you put a ribbon.  thats like, so easy.  it would take a developer like a week to do that?  anyway... i'm pretty hard on them arent i?  sorry.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:18 PM by superboyac »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
According to screenshots and reports, The Bat! version 9 (currently at 9.0.0.x) is very slow, but the ribbons can be disabled everywhere but in the Compose windows.

Facebook link:
https://facebook.com...ts/10157552017414120

Yup, still happy about changing the client.
thanks for the link.  im not changing anytime soon lol.  i really dont want to change.  :(

thechuckster

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After 10+ years of living in darkness, a light appeared during my searchings...
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=48363.0

This FIX is a jewel!
I thought my email provider did something screwy on their side and they even admitted that they updated their mail server ssl structure the day my Eudora started refusing SSL connections.
They provided zero help on how to solve the problem, but did offer to sell me their email packages, starting at $5 per mailbox per month... having about 100, this made me angry.
So for some years since, I cursed them constantly, got banned from their community support pages for bashing their phone reps technical ignorance and profit driven support model.. I worked there for 7 years.
They made billions before going into their new age, with the owner selling out to hedge fund investors, then it took a large crap on its users.

I am running Win 10 x64
Eudora v7.1.0.9, in paid mode
before replacing the 4 files, I first ran the latest MS VCredist for both 32 and 64 bit.
https://support.micr...d-visual-c-downloads

After starting Eudora and setting checking use ssl if available, I got a popup with a certificate, choose accept it, and now it works perfectly.

This place is getting a bit of my money for this!!

also, I am not sure why, probably a 64bit thing, but my mailboxes are all stored in another directory and not the same one as the 32 bit installation would put them...
C:\Users\----USER NAME----\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora

If anyone has a fix for this please let US ALL know how to..
Eudora checks for updates on its own, and goes to JUMP.EUDORA.COM  which is now owned and controlled by a 3rd party who may be doing something with your data...
How do you shut this off, if you can at all ?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:11 AM by thechuckster, Reason: another question... »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you know how to get access to the modem/router device your ISP provided, it is an option to block access (in its firewall) to the domain: jump.eudora.com

After you configured the firewall, whenever the Eudora client makes a request to that domain, it will get no response. A different device, other than your computer, is now blocking access and there won't be a way for Eudora to manipulate anything to get connected, disregarding any firewall rules you might have setup in the Windows firewall and/or (personalized) HOST file on your computer.

It might be a good idea to also find out the IP address behind the domain name you wish to block and add that IP address also to the block list on the firewall of your modem/router. That will shut traffic up.

However, if you don't know how to access or configure your modem/router, you can also configure the Windows firewall on your computer to block access to both the domain name and IP address. This will shut traffic up too.

But as stated before, it is a lot harder for any piece of software to circumvent any configured limitation, when that limitation is configured on a device that is not the computer the software currently runs on.

And if you really feel like spending time to acquire some knowledge regarding Windows networking, run your own DNS server and block traffic to that domain that way. When done correctly, that certainly shuts up traffic. There are many, freely available DNS servers for Windows. I know and have used the free one from Technitium, which is very easy to run and configure. But look around for other, maybe better/easier DNS servers if you desire to go the DNS route.

Woodwise

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Every once in a while, I think that I should think of a Eudora replacement. I have tried several of those mentioned here. I still keep using Eudora. It's not that I don't like change...my text editor keeps evolving, and I keep up with that.

So I stumbled across this. I really appreciate the 4 files. Already made the change. Looking forward to seeing the impact, and will follow the notes, too.

One thing I have a plugin for is UTC-8, which is used increasingly. I tried to leave a note on the Hermes site, but only contributors can comment, and I didn't see a way do that. Not sure if they are still in business.

~R~

HMishkoff

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just followed the step-by-step instructions posted by Steven Avery in August, and they worked perfectly!

More detail: I use Eudora 7 through a connection to AT&T U-Verse. AT&T occasionally changes their security settings, and I'm used to having problems every few years, and I've always been able to figure it out. But they made some kind of change a couple of months ago, and I hadn't been able to retrieve my AT&T email since then. AT&T's own discussion groups are having so many technical issues that they're pretty much worthless. I had given up hope until I stumbled across this group, and Steven's note solved my problem completely. So THANK YOU!!

quickcall2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello I just registered to add to this thread.

As many of you, I started using Eudora Pro v2.1.2 on Win95 in 1996, when one day I found an installer file hidden in some obscure online directory (and found with Lycos search engine) and since I never looked back. I have been of course gradually been upgrading over time up to the last v7.1 in Pay mode, and I'm on a Server2003 workstation (and no, I am not even close to upgrading to any of the awful newer win options, besides as is this one does all I need, and feels crisp and agile, otherwise there is my secondary win7 laptop for other stuff that refuses to run on XP/2003). Anyway, I think Eudora is still the best email client out there, and even though over the years I gave a try to some "more modern" alternatives, I always quickly ended up going back to use my very comfortable Eudora. I did of course run into the TLS issue when providers started upgrading, and Hermes did solve the problem for me as well in regards to maintaining security up to date while handling my email accounts. But there is one single issue that I still have a problem with, and that is the other reason for this post.

As said before, after Hermes I was once again able to check and send email via TLSv1.2, I have my own server so all my email accounts are on that private server, no Gmail or any other public services. Not that I have anything against them, its just that I never needed them. Ok back to the main point, I also have an "Alternate Port SMTP Server" service at No-IP.com, which basically allows you to send emails without having to use your ISP provided SMTP, etc. I use this as an option because in these "modern" times sometimes when I send a (single) legitimate email to one of my customers, that might contain a link, PDF document attachment, or the subject is worded in a certain way, at times my regular SMTP server rejects the message and bounces it back as "High probability of spam" as it gets flagged without any real justification. Very frustrating to say the least, so in those cases its where the No-IP SMTP option comes in handy to solve the issue. I brought up the problem of the frequent false positive spam flagging to my server hosting company, but they said that there is not much they can do about it, as now a days most SMTP servers rely on a ever more strict set of rules on how to identify spam, and check other 3rd party databases about flagged addresses, IPs etc. Guess we have the spammers to thank for that escalation. I have been using this No-IP service for a couple of years now, and it can be really a big time saver, specially when it comes to be in quick touch with your customer when they are expecting you to be without having to pull out your hair.

So the one remaining issue I have with Eudora is that even tough at the beginning I was able to send emails securely through this No-IP SMTP service by setting the secure sockets mode to "Required StartTLS", about 6 months ago I started noticing that I was getting a very similar, if not the same error message as I saw on another site where the person was reporting not being able to get his Yahoo mail anymore onto Eudora: 'SSL Negotiation Failed - The connection with the server has been lost. Cause (1)', which he ultimately also solved by installing the Hermes patch. So I started trying the other secure sockets options, but none would work, except for the "Never" option, which means your emails are going out in the clear as text. Not the worst thing in the world unless you are with the CIA, but obviously not ideal either in these times where you never know who might be monitoring you. So I wonder if anyone has any ideas or has run into something similar, specially if you happen to have any services with No-IP as well. No-IP was of course the very opposite of helpful claiming they did not see any problems on their end with my account, even tough the server was clearly blocking my connection attempt, but we know why they do what now a days with these kind of TLS issues. I should also point out that I tried my SMTP service with Thunderbird installed on the win7 laptop, and of course it works just fine via TLS.

BTW I just wanted to mention that after doing the Hermes upgrade for all my multiple email accounts I am now having to set both inbound and outgoing secure sockets to "Required, Alternate Port", check the "Use submission port (587)" option, and in this way I get a Succeeded at TLSv1.2 negotiation result. The way it was before, set at Required StartTLS I was getting an error, and the negotiation error result indicated TLSv1 was being used. But as long as it works correctly I really don't mind what settings I need to use.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and/or insights into my last remaining TLS problem with the NoIP SMTP service.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:49 AM by quickcall2, Reason: add details »

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
My small contribution here...

I've used Pegasus (not since about 2000, though) and TheBat! and finally settled on Thunderbird.

I still have a license for TheBat! but I didn't go beyond v7 -- I always loved its configurability and its use of FidoNet-style message quoting but I got badly burnt by a massive failure of the encryption mechanism for the Voyager variant and I decided never to trust it again.

Thunderbird's abandonment of its addons infrastructure is an annoyance -- a couple of addons for message management that I used and relied on have either gone away already or are going away as we speak (Nostalgy and QuickFolders being the most important of them) but the newly discovered ability to create virtual folders via the saved search functionality has just stopped me wondering about possible alternatives, which is why I started reading this thread in the first place!

I have tens of thousands of stored emails in Thunderbird and it copes. This is probably A Good Thing. :)
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thunderbird doesn’t have add-ons anymore? Ew.

(Here I am, still using Pandora ... while keeping an eye on Pegasus.)

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thunderbird doesn’t have add-ons anymore? Ew.

(Here I am, still using Pandora ... while keeping an eye on Pegasus.)
It does, but it's following the Mozilla / Firefox codebase into a new addons architecture so a lot of things you've been using for years have Gone Away or will do so.
-- bests, Tim

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah. I’d still have to port my FOAAS extension.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Reminds me of something I once used TheBat! for... a commitment that was always going to be met in a week but was never actually kept led me to write a polite reminder email that TheBat! sent on my behalf every day at 11am for about 6 months.

FOAAS might have been a useful thing for the recipient. Fortunately, she had no such tool available :D
-- bests, Tim

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So I did a quick search looking for the differences between Thunderbird and TheBat! and stumbled upon this forrum.  It looks like a major developer was leaving the BAT!Here is the thread from May.

Reminds me of something I once used TheBat! for... a commitment that was always going to be met in a week but was never actually kept led me to write a polite reminder email that TheBat! sent on my behalf every day at 11am for about 6 months.

FOAAS might have been a useful thing for the recipient. Fortunately, she had no such tool available :D

This got me thinking about that maybe theBat has some of the utility that I have been missing in Thunderbird. 

Scheduling emails: Thunderbird has the ability through an addon to send an email at a prescribed time, you can schedule an email to be sent at a certain time or send it to be a reoccurring email.  It is really nice if you are working late at night and do not want to send an email  at 2am.  You can have it go at 8am ( during working hours).  Does the Bat! have that ability?  Any other email clients?

Monitoring replies: Thunderbird used to have a number of other add-ons that were extremely useful that have stopped working due to the changes touched on earlier in this thread due to TB development.  There were a family of add-ons that allowed you to monitor replies.  You could set the add-on to monitor IF an email had been replied to. When sending the email you would basically tell the add-on to notify you if they did not reply by  a date of your choosing.   Sucha  simple thing, but you were able to automate a piece of follow-up.  I traditionally set a monitor reply of a week.  If somethig was more pressing, then I would make it shorter.  Does the bat or any other email client have that?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maxim was not a major developer. AFAIR, he was a mediocre developer - but the CEO.

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maxim was not a major developer. AFAIR, he was a mediocre developer - but the CEO.
I see. Well that is an interesting development.  My sense is that The Bat! has been around long enough that it is pretty stable. I am mostly interested in how the functionality compares to thunderbird

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is mightier. :)