ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Group Policy settings

<< < (2/3) > >>

4wd:
if that's the case, then why would they exclude it?  Makes little sense.-wraith808 (October 09, 2016, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why should Home users have that kind of easily accessible power is more likely the reason.  Getting to the Group Policy Editor is simple, getting the information on what registry settings do the same thing takes a little more effort.

Just another arbitrary decision by a corporation in order to maximise profit in some way ... or more likely, "We know how to protect users from themselves, think of all the support we'd have to provide for Home users when they screw up their Group Policy settings or forget their Bitlocker password, that'll cost us bucket loads, just remove those items from the Home edition."

What's the reasoning behind not having Bitlocker available in Home editions?
Don't normal users have data to protect from prying eyes?

IainB:
...I'm sure it's more than just marketing.  There's some sort of decision making process behind it- especially as MS released the spreadsheet, and this isn't a marketed feature.  I was just wondering what that reasoning might be.
-wraith808 (October 10, 2016, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, good luck with that. Do let us know if you ever discover "what that reasoning might be". It might be interesting.
Meantime, I personally could never "feel sure" about the rationale for anything M$ does, or whether they even have a rationale sometimes, especially after their various prior examples of daft marketing - e.g., (cases in point) the release of Metro/Win8 or "push" marketing of Win10. There is such a thing as the potential for antagonising the market, after all.

IainB:
...Why should Home users have that kind of easily accessible power is more likely the reason.  Getting to the Group Policy Editor is simple, getting the information on what registry settings do the same thing takes a little more effort. ...
-4wd (October 10, 2016, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
The first bit might be mere supposition on your part.

Reminds me of (from memory):
"Moses supposes his toeses are roses,
But Moses supposes erroneously.
If Moses supposes his toeses are roses,
Where do you suppose his toeses to be?"

(From "Singin' in the Rain", the "Moses Supposes" routine was performed by Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor.)

--- End quote ---

4wd:
...Why should Home users have that kind of easily accessible power is more likely the reason.  Getting to the Group Policy Editor is simple, getting the information on what registry settings do the same thing takes a little more effort. ...
-4wd (October 10, 2016, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
The first bit might be mere supposition on your part.-IainB (October 10, 2016, 08:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really should learn to use more smileys  :)

IainB:
OIC. My mistuk. Sorry.    :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version