ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chocolatey...opinions? portable?

<< < (5/10) > >>

wraith808:
More info: OneGet is included in windows 10.  Go to the powershell console, and type Get-PackageProvider to see the providers available.  So I guess that maybe this was what MS was intending to include, but it wasn't finished for public consumption?

It can also install chocolatey packages: Get-PackageSource -Provider chocolatey retrieves the package source.  It looks quite interesting, but I have to do more research.

UPDATE: Get-Package from the powershell prompt shows *everything* you have installed.  It's pretty cool!

wraith808:
More info: Win-Get and Windows-Get seem abandoned.  The last update date on them is quite old, and looking at the repos, the versions of the software available is likewise ancient.

ewemoa:
More info: Win-Get and Windows-Get seem abandoned.  The last update date on them is quite old, and looking at the repos, the versions of the software available is likewise ancient.
-wraith808 (September 18, 2015, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hadn't seen Windows-Get, but unmaintained / abandoned was how it seemed to me for Win-Get and WPKG so I didn't mention them earlier.

ewemoa:
IIRC, I'd avoided ZeroInstall earlier because of .NET dependencies and the seeming requirement of having to sign packages (nice to have optionally, but being forced even for my own local purposes seemed too much).

Now that I'm not looking after XP machines, the .NET requirement issue may not be relevant, and perhaps the package signing situation is different now (or may be I misunderstood earlier).

May be worth another look...

ewemoa:
UPDATE2: You might be able to build it from sources... it' uses OCAML, so I'm not sure why the windows version requires .NET.
-wraith808 (September 18, 2015, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

The github repository had the following instructions for building:

https://github.com/0install/0install#user-content-windows-installation

No idea why .NET is necessary -- may be there are convenient libraries for working with Windows that are being leveraged?

But perhaps the version required doesn't require any additional installing as Tuxman hinted at.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version