topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 'create Restore Point' question  (Read 31617 times)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 'create Restore Point' question
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2015, 02:54 AM »
You might need to check if the cooler is properly mounted on the cpu, if it's not firmly and exactly mounted on top then it won't cool good enough.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2015, 02:52 PM »
If the PC is a bit older, you might even want to clean off the old heat conducting paste that is always put between the CPU and the CPU cooler. And re-apply a fresh (thin!) layer.

Actually, I have seen videos of people complaining about Intel putting a cheap heat paste between the top of the actual processor die and the aluminum plate that is intended for the paste between the CPU and the CPU cooler. And replacing that cheap Intel paste with decent paste.

I believe this practice is called 'delidding', which is usually done by over-clockers. Example youtube videos:

Edit: added another youtube video

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2015, 05:26 PM »
^ & ^^ Tnx.  :up:
So Intel was using some kind of substandard heat transfer compound between the CPU & lid?
Did they stop doing that yet?

Okay, my CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4400+, and not Intel, which came to me 6 or 8 years ago as a custom build with an aftermarket CPU cooling fin & fan unit.
I did watch the 'delidding' video, and don't think I want to try that, and anyway mine is an AMD.

Sometime last year, the ASUS mobo told me the CPU fan died and was refusing to boot.
So I had to pull the CPU cooling fin unit anyway to replace the custom CPU fan with a factory-issue ASUS CPU fan that came with the mobo and which I had kept in storage.
In doing so, I had to replace the silver paste.
I had a tube of some 'arctic silver' (I think that is the name) unopened 'in case of need', and I carefully cleaned off the CPU and mating surface of the cooling fin unit, and reapplied fresh silver paste.
So the only thing I can think of is if I somehow did it wrong, but I had watched a video on how to do it first and tried to copy the vid's instructions carefully.
But the crashes only started happening a few months ago, and seem to be related to Adobe updates and online videos, altho I'm only guessing.

The original video card was an NVidia 6800, which quit last year, and was replaced with an NVidia GTS 450, in case that might be a factor.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:17 PM by bit »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Go here and make sure it can and is using the HTML5 player, instead of using the default flash based player: https://www.youtube.com/html5

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Go here and make sure it can and is using the HTML5 player, instead of using the default flash based player: https://www.youtube.com/html5
^Got it, & tnx.  :up:
PaleMoon & Seamonkey seemed the most crashy before.
IE, PaleMoon, & Seamonkey had to be switched; FF & Chrome were already set to it.
The TOR Vidalia FF is really 'iffy' about playing any vids at all, but was already set to it.

Do you think DC's ProcessTamer would help, or is only going to add more overload to the OS?
I have tried both with and without using it, and can't decide which way is better.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2015, 11:58 PM »
I've revisited https://www.youtube.com/html5 several times in the same browsers, and it looks like it is reverting to 'default player' each time I visit, even though I reselect it each time.
I'm not sure it is staying with the preferred HTML5 setting.

edit: Maybe it's resetting to 'default' because I use a proxie and don't log in to youtube.
My PaleMoon also uses the Self-Destructing Cookies add-on, preventing permanent yt settings.
But my other browsers don't kill cookies (they're very benevolent).  :-*
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:18 AM by bit »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2015, 02:57 AM »
MY pc crashed with a BSOD tonight during an action scene while playing a movie on a DVD with VLC media player.
Sounds like some of you guys really think I should pull my CPU cooling fan & fins and give them a fresh cleaning & silvering, so I'm thinking about it.
I've been feeling kind of like the flu lately; it's not, it's just fatigue, but I'm not at my most focused, so I may not get to it right away.
I seem to remember a yt vid suggesting the use of coffee filters for a lint-free cleaning rag substitute.
Or I could use a bunch of q-tips.
I could also use naptha (lighter fluid) instead of 70% rubbing alcohol.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2015, 05:03 AM »
Sounds like some of you guys really think I should pull my CPU cooling fan & fins and give them a fresh cleaning & silvering, so I'm thinking about it.
Yup, and, like shades said, be sure to apply the silvering paste very thin, as it is only needed to flatten out any air-pits and minor irregularities in the contact surface between the cpu and the cooler.
In the most optimum case the surface-contact should really be metal on metal, as the paste can work as heat-insulation when applied too thick!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2015, 12:15 PM »
My PaleMoon also uses the Self-Destructing Cookies add-on, preventing permanent yt settings.

That would explain why it keeps reverting to default of flash. The setting is stored in a cookie, per browser, rather than in your account to work across all browsers.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
urgent request
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2015, 09:00 PM »
My free AVG antivirus just gave me this Desktop pop-up window.
It looks like I am being cut off even from the so-called 'free' AVG antivirus protection.
Is AVG still protecting me, or what should I do?
I still have some days left on my paid Norton I can reinstall.
Or is there any other free antivirus I should switch to?
If I'm not protected, I need someone to confirm it asap. Tnx!
AVG expired notice.jpg'create Restore Point' question
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:06 PM by bit »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2015, 09:24 PM »
^ If you need urgent help, you migth want to make that a new thread instead of burying it in this one.  Just my thoughts...

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2015, 09:29 PM »
^ If you need urgent help, you migth want to make that a new thread instead of burying it in this one.  Just my thoughts...
I'll do that wraith808. Tnx!  :up: