topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Safe Internet  (Read 14792 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[SOLVED] Safe Internet
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:05 PM »
I have a friend having serious problems with internet virus many times in a year.
I usually goes to his home and apply antivirus, but is always begin the begin.
So I am thinking about this possibility :

1. Use a bat file with a password, or an ahk file - not needed encrypted - to enter in internet in the main system or host.
(this is necessary for certain processes like digital signature)
2. In the rest of the cases use a virtual machine under virtualbox to use internet. if something happen is quick to go back with the previous snapshot.
3. I would like the bat or ahk protected be temporized for the case the browser in the host system remained opened without interaction for about five minutes to close automatically. programmable time better.

Can I have a script in this way to control internet access ?

Best Regards
 :-*
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:30 AM by Contro »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Safe Internet
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:15 PM »
I'm not sure how the program would work.  But I have a couple of suggestions to do with the issue.  If your friend uses Firefox or chrome browser get him to use Privacy Badger AddOn.  I haven't tried the chrome one.  But for FF you just install it and go with the defaults. No options to set.

Every day when I scanned with SuperAntiSpyware I would have 52 or 53 tracking cookies.  After badger I have zero.

The other thing is ToolWiz TimeFreeze.  It is free.  Set it to start disabled but running when Windows starts.  That way you can turn it on manually from the tray icon and you don't have to reboot to turn it off.  It uses shadowing to redirect disk writes away from the system partition.

If you want to actually download something just save to another disk or partition.

The TimeFreeze I did notice it running just slightly.  But badger you don't feel at all.  It just filters out cookies the site doesn't need to run without you having to do anything.  No clicking allow this or that.  Automatic.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 03:25 PM »
I'm not sure how the program would work.  But I have a couple of suggestions to do with the issue.  If your friend uses Firefox or chrome browser get him to use Privacy Badger AddOn.  I haven't tried the chrome one.  But for FF you just install it and go with the defaults. No options to set.

Every day when I scanned with SuperAntiSpyware I would have 52 or 53 tracking cookies.  After badger I have zero.

The other thing is ToolWiz TimeFreeze.  It is free.  Set it to start disabled but running when Windows starts.  That way you can turn it on manually from the tray icon and you don't have to reboot to turn it off.  It uses shadowing to redirect disk writes away from the system partition.

If you want to actually download something just save to another disk or partition.

The TimeFreeze I did notice it running just slightly.  But badger you don't feel at all.  It just filters out cookies the site doesn't need to run without you having to do anything.  No clicking allow this or that.  Automatic.

He uses exclusively IE because of the platform needed for digital signature.

But I'll take a good look also for myself.

I put a post a few weeks ago about Rollback and someone tells me that type of programs (acronis, rollback,....) area a little bit dangerous.

I have a headache with rollback because i uninstall with revo uninstaller and all about this program goes with shield.dat I lost with a complete uninstallation.....
Terrible !!!!!

A simple file and a philosofy of sector writings or something like that makes me feel really sick a few weeks ago with the lost of about 36 work hours I haven't in any place.....

:-[

Running to try with care  :-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Privacy Badger installed and adopted
 :-*

I have normal fear about Toolwiz TimeFreeze...
 :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 03:38 PM »
Miles also exists the time machine.
Downloading to try.
 :-\

arvin23

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 04:58 AM »
It only takes a little bit of effort, a few tools, and some basic information to be safe as you browse the Internet. Follow these guidelines to protect your personal information and your computer online.USE Install protective software

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Contro, would your friend be able to handle using two browsers - IE when he needs to use the digital signature stuff, another for all other browsing? Perhaps two shortcuts on the desktop - "Use the Internet" and another "Use online banking" (or whatever the digital signature stuff is for).

I would suggest Chrome as the "Use the Internet" browser, since it has a built-in Flash player that's a lot safer than the plugin for other browsers, and "ordinary people" seem to still need Flash. Make sure the Java browser plugin is not installed unless it's necessary for the digital signature stuff, and in that case make sure it's only installed in IE. Then add uBlock Origin and Ghostery and most bad stuff is taken care of.

Of course there's nothing that really helps against people who download and run random software, but at least Ghostery + uBlock Origin removes most of the advertisements that would lead to bad software...
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:27 PM »
Just as another thought, could he use a VM for surfing or whatever? Then just delete the VM every so often and copy a backup to use again? That's what a lot of people do.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 09:09 AM »
Just as another thought, could he use a VM for surfing or whatever? Then just delete the VM every so often and copy a backup to use again? That's what a lot of people do.

My computer instructor at the college is keen on making bootable USB sticks of Linux Mint using Rufus.  He likes Mint for Windows users because they can figure out right away how to run and close programs.  Also on the off chance you are hit with a virus that targets Linux just image the USB stick with Rufus again to recover use of the stick.

shmuel1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 06:41 AM »
I use Bitdefender's TrafficLight. It's a free plug-in for Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
https://www.bitdefen...ns/trafficlight.html

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 06:09 PM »
I use Bitdefender's TrafficLight. It's a free plug-in for Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
https://www.bitdefen...ns/trafficlight.html

Downloading for Firefox.

Best Regards
 :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :tellme: :-*

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Another idea for booting a thumb drive for surfing is Puppy Linux

I made a bootable USB and not only does it boot but you can set it to save Linux config changes on shutdown.  Also it is very easy to get the WiFi working.  There is a gizmo in the system tray for it.  If you google you should get a step by step how to initialize the WiFi in Puppy Linux.  If you set it to save config info to the stick you only have to do it once.  I did it some time ago but it must have been very easy since I don't have any memory of it being annoying.  :)

Puppy is very small and can run well even on PCs and Laptops that have been around awhile.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Another idea for booting a thumb drive for surfing is Puppy Linux

I made a bootable USB and not only does it boot but you can set it to save Linux config changes on shutdown.  Also it is very easy to get the WiFi working.  There is a gizmo in the system tray for it.  If you google you should get a step by step how to initialize the WiFi in Puppy Linux.  If you set it to save config info to the stick you only have to do it once.  I did it some time ago but it must have been very easy since I don't have any memory of it being annoying.  :)

Puppy is very small and can run well even on PCs and Laptops that have been around awhile.

It's a good idea MilesAhead.

And also to prepare a usb stick for antivirus fighting.
Best Regards