topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Does BrowserTraySwitch work on Win 8.1 x64?  (Read 14648 times)

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does BrowserTraySwitch work on Win 8.1 x64?
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:40 PM »
I'm not having luck.  It makes the .btsregfile files, but picking a different browser using the tray icon doesn't seem to do anything.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does BrowserTraySwitch work on Win 8.1 x64?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:16 AM »
BrowserTraySwitch hasn't gotten much attention from me in the recent years.. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with Windows 8, but it's possible that it doesn't..  If someone can confirm that it doesn't work, and has some insight into why the default browser registry settings wouldn't be effecting windows 8, I'm happy to update it.

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Maybe someone who has used it can tell us something.  I hadn't used previously so I didn't get to see it work.  I made 2 different browsers be the default, got the 2 btsregfile files and when I do the tray switch, the icon changes, but it doesn't seem to make the system refresh. i.e. when I start a browser and make it be the default (via the browser menu), usually I see the desktop icons refresh, and so forth. But when I use BTS, there's no obvious change.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:55 PM »
but it doesn't seem to make the system refresh. i.e. when I start a browser and make it be the default (via the browser menu), usually I see the desktop icons refresh, and so forth. But when I use BTS, there's no obvious change.

That's interesting -- i've recently come across the signals i am supposed to trigger when such a system change is made, and i'm not sure i send them when BTW triggers..  That would be easy enough to add.

However, first things first -- can you figure out if BTS doesn't work at all on Windows 8 -- that is when you change browser with BTS, do NEWLY LAUNCHED PROGRAMS open stuff using the changed browser?

Or is it that BTS works, but existing programs which were running when BTS makes a change don't see the change?

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:17 AM »
for me -- it doesn't seem to work.  Using BTS, I made IE be the default yesterday and have rebooted machine.  I run BTS today and the IE icon is in the tray, but my default browser is still chrome.  Clicking on a desktop URL shortcut starts chrome. 

If I get a chance I'll see if I can try this on a Win7 machine - make sure I understand the process and see it work.

p_p_s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 08:33 AM »
I did not test BrowserTraySwitch on Windows 8 or 8.1. But I did test it on Windows 10 Home and it did not work for two reasons. Maybe at least one of the reasons is already the same at Windows 8. See https://www.donation....msg396115#msg396115 .

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:56 PM »
BrowserTraySwitch hasn't gotten much attention from me in the recent years.. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with Windows 8, but it's possible that it doesn't..  If someone can confirm that it doesn't work, and has some insight into why the default browser registry settings wouldn't be effecting windows 8, I'm happy to update it.
It's not working. But I am not able to help.
Looking into my documentation I have an old alternative Change Default Browser 1.0 . The webmaster don't exist nowadays. And also don't go well under windows 8.1 64 bit.
If you need change often of browser perhaps not fixing the default one may help.
The first launch the operating system ask you between the installed ones (except those that really are the same browser : firefox and Waterofx....) . The next launching will continue with the last browser selected.
If you want to change select open with and use another.

Change the default browser in the registry in windows 8.1
I search and if I found something interest i will comment here.

Best Regards