ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

YaCy - Decentralised Search

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
I just found out about this:

http://yacy.net/en/

Web Search by the people, for the people

YaCy is a free search engine that anyone can use to build a search portal for their intranet or to help search the public internet. When contributing to the world-wide peer network, the scale of YaCy is limited only by the number of users in the world and can index billions of web pages. It is fully decentralized, all users of the search engine network are equal, the network does not store user search requests and it is not possible for anyone to censor the content of the shared index. We want to achieve freedom of information through a free, distributed web search which is powered by the world's users.

--- End quote ---

Via: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140701/03143327738/distributed-search-engines-why-we-need-them-post-snowden-world.shtml

Rather timely as I've been finding StartPage doesn't index a lot of things (because it's basically just Google results), so I often end up using DuckDuckGo, which works beautifully. Still, another option besides DDG is welcome.

But, this could be really, really big. If this (or something similar) can effectively compete with Google, we well may see a world where Google actually needs to seriously fight off the censors instead of capitulating so much as they do now. (I've noticed quite a bit of censorship in Google over the recent past - but I am lacking the smoking gun proof...)

IainB:
Thanks for posting about this. I just read that TechDirt post in my Bazqux feedreader and searched the DCF for references and found that you had just started this discussion thread.
Very thought-provoking.

wraith808:
I just found out about this:

http://yacy.net/en/
-Renegade (July 08, 2014, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting- I'll have to keep an eye on this.  Have you installed it yet?

(re Smoking Gun Proof, check google vs bing vs DDG.  That was enough of a smoking gun for me)

Renegade:
Have you installed it yet?
-wraith808 (July 08, 2014, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

In a word...

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

No.

My SSD is near full and I don't dare install anything more. I think I'm going to have to get a much larger SSD and clone the drive. I've been cleaning it out forever now, and just can't do much more.

However, this is a very high priority once I have enough space.

(re Smoking Gun Proof, check google vs bing vs DDG.  That was enough of a smoking gun for me)
-wraith808 (July 08, 2014, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I may be so bold, I believe that Google is actively "shaping" search results for ideological purposes. I've done some searches that turn up zero in Google (and it's sidekick, StartPage), but are right at the top of DuckDuckGo. I can't possibly imagine Google being that incompetent that they "missed" some of the things I've tried to look into. I noticed this quite a while back, but set it aside as a possible "quirk". However, having done enough searches on a variety of topics, I can't push that suspicion aside any longer. Google is not a neutral search engine. And neutrality is the most important thing for a search.

Renegade:
Here's one (bad) example... "michael meekin alien hat" (I had originally misspelled the name). Put that in StartPage or Google, then check DuckDuckGo. The site you are looking for is this: http://www.stopabductions.com/

(I like UFO videos/documentaries as they're often better than feature length films. I searched for that on a lark.)

BTW - The site there is just WILD! ;D It's quite literally wilder than most good movie plots!  :Thmbsup:

DDG was better & found what I was looking for despite the spelling error. Google is pretty sophisticated, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Adding in "alien hat" should get to the proper resource.

But, that's the only example that I can remember at the moment. There have been others where DDG proved better. I should start taking notes...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version