ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Right click selected text and jump to location in regedit (or similar)

<< < (2/2)

Rick998:
   Edit:  One fly in the ointment.  There is no means to run a utility such as NirSoft DriveLetterView elevated from WSCC(trying to delete a letter without elevation produces the "you do not have sufficient privilege... yadda yadda" in W8.0.)  This makes it hit and miss to launch WSCC in hopes of launching NirSoft and other utilities.-MilesAhead (April 19, 2016, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

In WSCC, just click on the icon (not description) of a utility in the right-hand pane, e.g. NirSoft DriveLetterView. In the menu that appears, click on Properties... at the bottom then click on the Run tab. Put a tick in the Run as administrator checkbox.

Right click selected text and jump to location in regedit (or similar)

I'm using WSCC 2.5.1.0 so perhaps your request has been implemented?

P.S. - If WSCC reports an update to a new version of itself then always do this update first instead of updates to NirSoft and Sysinternals utilities. It's how WSCC adds new utilities to the GUI rather than just updates to existing utilities.

Hope this helps...

Curt:
for Firefox:

new: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/open-regedit-key
old: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/open-in-regedit

Open selected registry key directly in the registry editor from context menu.
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
   Edit:  One fly in the ointment.  There is no means to run a utility such as NirSoft DriveLetterView elevated from WSCC(trying to delete a letter without elevation produces the "you do not have sufficient privilege... yadda yadda" in W8.0.)  This makes it hit and miss to launch WSCC in hopes of launching NirSoft and other utilities.-MilesAhead (April 19, 2016, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

In WSCC, just click on the icon (not description) of a utility in the right-hand pane, e.g. NirSoft DriveLetterView. In the menu that appears, click on Properties... at the bottom then click on the Run tab. Put a tick in the Run as administrator checkbox.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I'm using WSCC 2.5.1.0 so perhaps your request has been implemented?

P.S. - If WSCC reports an update to a new version of itself then always do this update first instead of updates to NirSoft and Sysinternals utilities. It's how WSCC adds new utilities to the GUI rather than just updates to existing utilities.

Hope this helps...
-Rick998 (May 02, 2016, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks.  I don't know how I missed the run as admin checkbox.  Apparently the option was there all along.  No doubt they ignored my suggestion as being from a crazy person.  Demanding they add stuff that is already there.  Heh heh

It must be the clean air in Miami getting to me.  :)  cough cough

Edit: I see no way to save the checkbox setting though.  I right click, then click Properties, check the box that says Run As Administrator in the Run tab.  Now I click the button at the right.  It runs DriveLetterView as administrator and I can delete a drive.  Now I close WSCC.  Open it again, right click on DriveLetterView and click Properties.  The RunAsAdmin checkbox in the Run tab is unchecked nagain.  So I have to do the litany on every run.  Not tops in convenience.

Unless there is a setting to save settings which I don't see.  Also I notice that double clicking no longer launches anything.  I have to click the button on the right column just left of the '?'

Edit2:  Ok it's the same old same old Windows 8 not letting files be written under Program Files.  I installed the free version 2.5.1.0 Portable under C:\Utils\WSCC and the setting is saved.  It did fail to install 5 files but I am not sure which ones.  Maybe they were phased out on NirSoft.  But it seems to work OK now.   :Thmbsup:

The 3.x version is a trial version. I did not realize it before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version