ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Internet Explorer Front End

(1/4) > >>

BearPup7:
Hello All,
I am partially visually impaired and the fonts that make up the IE browser are lightweight (i.e., not bold), and small in font size. In Firefox, there is a 'Theme and Font Size Changer' add-on that allows me to specify font, size and weight of the Firefox GUI. And in the Windows Seven Forum tutorials there is a way to change system fonts (which helps), but doesn't solve the problem.

I suppose I could revert to the XP look, but I have resisted that approach as the background photos are my own, and I don't want to move 'backwards' to a very out of date look. Frankly, I'd rather use a Firefox derivative such as Pale Moon as my browser than go backwards to the XP look. I've also tried the ZoomIt tool (Sysinternal) and what I find is that I lose the functionality of the mouse wheel when ZoomIt is activated. And I use the mouse wheel constantly in my work.

What I'm really looking for is an application / add-on for IE that functions like the Theme Font and Size Changer does in the Firefox and Thunderbird programs - it acts directly on the application's menus and theme to allow the 'standard' font to be changed to a different font and weight (bold),

So my question: is there some way to change either the font, or weight, or size of the fonts used in the IE interface?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards,
BearPup7

skwire:
is there some way to change either the font, or weight, or size of the fonts used in the IE interface?-BearPup7 (April 10, 2014, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you hold down the control key and roll the mouse wheel, you should see the font size (zoom level) change in IE and most (all?) other browsers.

MilesAhead:
If you can find a MaxThon Extension that does this then I suggest Maxhon.  It uses the IE engine and had mutliple tab interface years before IE.  I used it several years ago and found the user-written extensions to be the source of most of the fun.  Since then I have not kept up with MaxThon but I think it is worth a look if IE compatibility is a requirement.

BearPup7:
@MilesAhead:  Thank you for replying. I will definitely check it out, and yes IE compatibility is critical for Microsoft websites.

UPDATE:  I tried every search term I could think of - bold, font, appearance, home page, modern, etc. - and the search result came back with zero results for each term I tried. So unless you're aware of something specific, it doesn't look like Maxthon will make a difference. And, again my thanks for replying.

BearPup7:
@Skwire: Thanks for replying. And yes, I'm aware of the scroll wheel magnification which is not really what I'm needing. I already set the magnification (zoom level) at 125%, zooming in any more than that leaves the page unreadable as text flies off the reading pane. What I'm looking for is the equivalent of the Firefox add-on that enhances the front end (the text that makes up the menus and the like) without running the page off the screen. Heck, I'd gladly settle for making the character weight 'bold' instead of 'normal'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version