ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How The Most Expensive Game Jam In History Crashed And Burned In A Single Day

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
I just finished reading through all the links. To my eyes this fiasco seemed to bring out some of the worst in almost everyone involved. And while I find myself more in support of the game devs than the show management, there seemed to be a good deal of 'speechifying' and posturing going down on all sides.

Reminds me very much of some of the shriller campus political battles that went on when I was in college. Once those situations went sour people usually stopped trying to make things work and started trying to "prove a point" or "send a strong message" instead. It seldom improved things once dialog was abandoned in the interests of "punishing" somebody.

Sad state of affairs.

So it goes.

Deozaan:
To my eyes this fiasco seemed to bring out some of the worst in almost everyone involved.-40hz (April 01, 2014, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why is that? I felt that for the most part, the developers were pretty good about placing the blame almost entirely on the one person whose actions were pretty reprehensible, and (for the most part) specifically say that everyone else was pretty great and they would be willing to work with them again in the future.

It seemed pretty reasonable and levelheaded to me. But maybe you caught something that I missed. I'd love to hear your perspective explained in further detail.

40hz:
To me, it seemed the devs had won their battle - and had the show people groveling - but then consciously decided to let the whole thing go down in flames to hammer home their point. That seemed excessive to me. But I wasn't there, so it's easy to say, and possibly misses something major that pushed them to make that decision.  The accounts seem to be somewhat reluctant to get too specific, so the reactions seemed to be a tad extreme (to me) based on what the blogs were willing to say.

I'm not sure what the participants expected. But knowing how reality TV programming operates, and some of the terms in the contract offered, I find it a little hard to believe these devs (who are not stupid by any stretch) were that completely blindsided by how this thing was supposed to work. If they called it off after reading that first contract, I'd say it was understandable. But the second revised contract wasn't much better, and the presence of a "misrepresentation" clause and gag order agreement should have been more than enough warning to roll up their mats and go home.

But that's probably my take having seen and been through enough nonsense like this that I can sense something about to go off the rails from a mile away. Maybe, if I were still their age, it wouldn't seem so obvious to me.
 :tellme:

Deozaan:
Thanks for expounding. I appreciate it. And for what it's worth, I think you've got a valid viewpoint. It's hard to know exactly what happened and how to appropriately judge the situation.

wraith808:
They've had a few of these before on Humble Bundle (specifically remember the Mojang one) and they seemed to come out well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version