ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

OneNote is now free

(1/6) > >>

mwb1100:
Today we’re excited to complete that story with three major developments:

OneNote for Mac is available for the first time and for free. With this, OneNote is now available on all the platforms you care about: PC, Mac, Windows tablets, Windows Phone, iPad, iPhone, Android and the Web. And they’re always in sync.

OneNote is now free everywhere including the Windows PC desktop and Mac version because we want everyone to be able to use it. Premium features are available to paid customers.

The OneNote service now provides a cloud API enabling any application to connect to it. This makes it easier than ever to capture ideas, information and inspirations from more applications and more places straight into OneNote, including:

*    OneNote Clipper for saving web pages to OneNote
*    [email protected] for emailing notes to OneNote
*    Office Lens for capturing documents and whiteboards with your Windows Phone
*    Sending blog and news articles to OneNote from Feedly, News360 and Weave
*    Easy document scanning to OneNote with Brother, Doxie Go, Epson, and Neat
*    Writing notes with pen and paper and sending them to OneNote with Livescribe
*    Mobile document scanning to OneNote with Genius Scan and JotNot
*    Having your physical notebooks scanned into OneNote with Mod Notebooks
*    Connecting your world to OneNote with IFTTT
Go to www.onenote.com to get OneNote for free for your Mac, PC or other devices, and try out the new OneNote service connected experiences.-http://blogs.office.com/2014/03/17/onenote-now-on-mac-free-everywhere-and-service-powered/
--- End quote ---

There is still a paid version of OneNote if you need such "premium features like SharePoint support, version history, Outlook integration and so on".

So, is this an Evernote-killer or is it too late or not enough for that?

rgdot:
April 1??   ;)

I love this developement

wraith808:
So, is this an Evernote-killer or is it too late or not enough for that?
-mwb1100 (March 17, 2014, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know if it is or not.  Onenote is more flexible in my opinion; not being able to access it where ever I was was the big reason I've used Evernote for so long.

Deozaan:
Is this for real in 2014?

In the "Other download options" dropdown:

For the best compatibility, we recommend the 32-bit version. If you already have other 64-bit Office products installed, use the 64-bit version of OneNote.-https://www.onenote.com/Download
--- End quote ---

I've got a 64-bit CPU, running a 64-bit OS made by Microsoft, yet they recommend a 32-bit version of the software for compatibility? Compatibility with what? :tellme:

But other than that, this is cool news! I love OneNote. I thought it was really cool/useful in Office 2007.

Jibz:
But other than that, this is cool news! I love OneNote. I thought it was really cool/useful in Office 2007.
-Deozaan (March 20, 2014, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

A few points from the other thread:

* It's more like freemium
* You can only use notebooks stored in the cloud in the free version (you have to buy/subscribe to Office to use a local notebook)
* It's around 1 GB installed, the tiny setup tool downloads all of that
* It also installs OneDrive and a printer driver
* Some people see 64-bit programs being installed when they chose the 32-bit version, not sure what exactly the difference is

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version