topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Koding.com and the great 100TB giveaway  (Read 13634 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Koding.com and the great 100TB giveaway
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Codebyte had posted about Kodingen.com before- it's been a great idea, and it just keeps getting better.

Now they've rebranded themselves Koding.com, and they're giving away 100TB over the remainder of the week. 

Hello there!

We're very excited to announce a completely redesigned Koding! It's now much faster, less distracting and easier to use. A lot has changed in the past couple of months and we'd love for you to take a look.

To celebrate this new era of programming in the cloud, we're giving away 100 Terabytes of storage*. This is our way of saying thanks to wonderful users like yourself who have been with us on this journey so far.

Here is how it works:

- Click here, login and receive an automatic upgrade to 4GB.
- Invite your friends this week and you'll both receive an extra 1GB when they sign up.

Enjoy!

Devrim co-founder and CEO
on behalf of Koding team
https://koding.com

PS. Although we're about to reach 200,000 users, you can always reply, I love hearing from you.

You normally get 4GB when you sign up, but if you use a referral, you get an additional 1GB and the referrer does too. 

Possible referrals posted:

deozaan - https://koding.com/R/deozaan
wraith808 - https://koding.com/R/wraith808

Its really nicely done, and with a ton of features.  I'll post more about it if I get the time. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Koding.com and the great 100TB giveaway
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47 AM »
Feel free to remove my referral link from this thread. I doubt I'll make use of the extra space. If you'll use it, feel free to get the referral bonus. (c:

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:59 AM »
Still, both parts of the referral deal get 1gb of free space, so no probs. I did, enjoy the extra gb Deo!
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:26 AM »
If anyone is running a FF derivative with no statusbar, use a browser that has one if you need labels for the toolbar icons.  No mouse-over... at least not with Pale Moon.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Well, the server is more stable now- and the 100TB is gone already... which might explain the restored stability.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Not quite sure what I am going to use it for, but I signed up and gave one of you some extra space anyway ;D.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:39 AM »
If anyone is running a FF derivative with no statusbar, use a browser that has one if you need labels for the toolbar icons.  No mouse-over... at least not with Pale Moon.
MilesAhead, I may have misunderstood you, but I'm using Pale Moon and it does have a status bar and mouseovers for the tooltips (the status bar is one of the toolbar options, just as it is in Firefox, where it's now apparently called the Add-on bar).  

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:51 AM »
If anyone is running a FF derivative with no statusbar, use a browser that has one if you need labels for the toolbar icons.  No mouse-over... at least not with Pale Moon.
MilesAhead, I may have misunderstood you, but I'm using Pale Moon and it does have a status bar and mouseovers for the tooltips (the status bar is one of the toolbar options, just as it is in Firefox, where it's now apparently called the Add-on bar).  

I had it disabled.  Probably because I didn't expect it to be there.  I still think a mouse over would be helpful.  For one thing the statusbar font is kind of small for those of us over 40.  :)

Thanks for the tip. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:41 AM »
I can't seem to get out of the SyncPlaces rut.  I have ftp set up.  FileZilla works flawlessly. But I cannot use SyncPlaces to put syncplaces.json file in a folder.  I get "path not found" no matter what.  Seems like this only wants to work to a file on the local HD.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:56 PM »
No support for my new favorite language anyways  :-\

Sounds like a cool idea though.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:18 AM »
No support for my new favorite language anyways  :-\

Sounds like a cool idea though.

What's the latest?  I'm just curious.
An aside, I happened to go on Bjarne Stroustrup's site(to get the spelling) and he has this long-suffering look like "20 years of standardization committees and still I'm not done!"  :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:51 PM »
What's the latest?  I'm just curious.

Pascal, since you're so kind to ask.  :-[
It's not as dead or incapable of a language as many make it out to be, and Lazarus is a very nice (if somewhat quirky) IDE to make little visual apps with.  I'm having a blast and learning a lot because for some reason I always end up with an itch to do something that turns out to be either buggy, or hard to do, or I don't know the language well enough.  ;D

An aside, I happened to go on Bjarne Stroustrup's site(to get the spelling) and he has this long-suffering look like "20 years of standardization committees and still I'm not done!"  :)

;D ;D ;D  Ah Bjarne, you've created a monster... a monster at once beautiful and hideous...

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone.
-Bjarne Stroustrup
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:04 PM by Edvard »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs.  One of my favorite programming books. I should give Lazarus another go.  I did Delphi for a long time.  Something about Pascal, I could just type in procedure or function names as I went along and figure out the implementation later.  It seemed to flow more than C based languages.

Although there does seem to be a "guilty pleasure" aspect to scooping up all the block variables and jamming them into a Lamda Expression in C++.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 09:53 AM »
I did Pascal/Delphi for a long time... made a lot of money with it.  Now I use C#, and when I tried to go back just to look at some old code... I didn't find myself wanting to jump back into it.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 12:46 AM »
Like I've said before, use what works for you.  I like Pascal because I can grokw it. 
I've said this so many times now, I'm tempted to make it my new sig:
With most programming languages, I feel like I'm being forced to do math.  I hate math.  With Pascal, I feel like I'm writing poetry.  :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I wasn't saying that towards anyone that uses Pascal.  I was just giving my personal experience.  People code in all sorts of things,a nd if they can get what they need done, what else matters?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Don't worry, no offense taken.  ;)
I totally understand your decision, I was just stating reasons for mine, and I totally agree that if it gets the job done, use it.  Still, it seems like Pascal has really lost the limelight in the last 10 years, when it used to be just as respected as any.  I'll keep using it for now, and leave it when it doesn't work any more, or something just as easy to understand and use comes along (and trust me, I've tried LOTS...).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Well, a lot of that is Borland's fault.  When I first got into C#, it was on a Delphi contract.  Basically it was for a retirement system for a large consulting company.  And they were supposed to do another one also.  Multi-million dollar contract.  And Borland wasn't involved at all.

Microsoft stole the shop out from underneath them.  Gave free software.  Gave free training.  Gave hours of consultation.  It was an investment from the business side.  That resulted in a lot of business, and a lot of converts to C#.

Completely Borland's fault.