topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ArsTechnica article on next-gen filesystems: Bitrot and Atomic COWs  (Read 7339 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting article delving into why RAID of any stripe (ooh, bad pun) and frequent backups won't always save your bacon, but a 'next-gen' filesystem like ZFS or Btrfs just might (no mention of any new filesystems for Windows).  I jumped into a Btrfs file system about two years ago, and it failed catastrophically about 3 months later.  Granted, it's still in a state of experimental flux and will eventually 'get there', but with all the benefits it promises, I'm hoping that's sooner than later...
Bitrot and atomic COWs: Inside “next-gen” filesystems
We look at the amazing features in ZFS and btrfs—and why you need them.
Let's talk about "bitrot," the silent corruption of data on disk or tape. One at a time, year by year, a random bit here or there gets flipped. If you have a malfunctioning drive or controller—or a loose/faulty cable—a lot of bits might get flipped. Bitrot is a real thing, and it affects you more than you probably realize.

from ArsTechnica, of course

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ArsTechnica article on next-gen filesystems: Bitrot and Atomic COWs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:51 PM »
I keep meaning to setup a test server using Btrfs just to play with some of those snazzy features. :o

Hmm...maybe this weekend if I can find a suitable machine...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Very interesting article indeed.  :Thmbsup:

Sure wish I had the time to play with this some more (as there are now several 150GByte Oracle databases "running loose" in my computer setup...)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:13 PM »
This sounds really cool. As someone who doesn't know a whole lot about it, it sounds a lot like how DVCS (e.g., git or Mercurial) work, but for the entire filesystem. I want it now! (c:

DrChiron

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Greetings:
Acknowledging that doing so may feel like a pain in the ass, Steve Gibson's Spinrite will refresh ALL the bits and might be a good use for any old desktop system! It is self contained doesn't care what is on the drive (even encrypted volumes or files & will boot off of any floppy,CD, or thumb drive!