ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Best note-taking setup with tablet and keyboard?

<< < (2/7) > >>

fgrieser:
@Paulo

Which netbook do you have? All the Windows (XP and 7) netbooks I tried, were not instant-on.

Thanks, Franz

techidave:
how about a Google Chromebook?  I am using the Samsung Model 303 which is 11.6" screen and about as close to instant on as you will find in a laptop.  I do not know if they are available with backlit keyboards.  I understand there is a touchscreen version available.

you can choose an app that will sync with the cloud so that your data is available to you from anywhere, any type of device.

the keyboard on it is much better than the keyboard on my wife's Surface RT tablet.

dr_andus:
You might try a clamcase instead of the zagg.-wraith808 (January 02, 2014, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. Looks good but it's not out yet for iPad Air and also I'm in the UK, so I suspect it will take a few more months to get here.

Did you consider using a digitizer with a tablet solution?
-wraith808 (January 02, 2014, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting suggestion. Do you have any particular tablet + software in mind to do this with? I presume this would use handwriting recognition? The last time I used that was with my Palm T|X...

i might suggest adding to the list of requirements, that the setup also make it easy to sync such notes between machines, that would be a nice benefit. -mouser (January 02, 2014, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, actually that's why I said plain text with Dropbox. To me that seems to be the best option, as long as the app does a good job of managing local copies (Nebulous Notes does).

if apple ALREADY has an app that does exactly what you want, get it.  if not, go with android.
-superboyac (January 02, 2014, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

iOS do seem to have some very nice apps. I'd be perfectly happy with Nebulous Notes if it hadn't stopped working properly with iPad 1. My main concern is not the app but the rapid obsolescence of Apple hardware.

the most flexible android tablet is the nexus 7.  if you need bigger and can wait, wait a little longer to get the next large nexus that comes out, nexus 10 or whatever.-superboyac (January 02, 2014, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nexus 7 is too small. I'm really after a comfortable note-taking and writing experience (ability to see largest amount of text possible), so Nexus 10 would be more like it.

evernote is the easiest solution here, but it probably doesn't satisfy your more particular requirements.

Check out Simplenote:
http://simplenote.com/-superboyac (January 02, 2014, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, but I'd prefer the plain txt + Dropbox combo, to keep things safe. Evernote is overkill and too pretty for my taste. I've had problems once with Simplenote and lost some data, so I'm not going back there.

keyboard shouldn't be an issue at all.  find the best bluetooth keyboard you like, and it should work fine.-superboyac (January 02, 2014, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you have a concrete suggestion? The keyboard is an important part of the setup, it needs to protect the tablet and also prop it up safely for different writing positions and viewing angles.

@Paulo
Which netbook do you have? All the Windows (XP and 7) netbooks I tried, were not instant-on.
-fgrieser (January 03, 2014, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same here. I also have XP and Win7 netbooks, and neither of them are instantly on. I want to be able to take a note as quickly as possible, e.g. even when I wake up in the middle of the night, so instant-on and off is essential.

how about a Google Chromebook?  I am using the Samsung Model 303 which is 11.6" screen and about as close to instant on as you will find in a laptop.
-techidave (January 03, 2014, 05:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really? I just can't imagine any of the netbook formats to be as instant as tablets are. Also, with netbooks there is the issue of blocking the vents, when resting it on fabric like a duvet...

Thanks very much for all the suggestions so far!

P.S. I forgot to mention that I am primarily concentrating on capturing written notes and doing writing with this setup. I'm not after an overall note-taking database, as I already have one. All text notes would end up in my desktop wiki (ConnectedText).

techidave:
well Doc, I was leary of the Chromebooks to at first.  from a dead start, its about 10 seconds. when i close the lid and then reopen it, its just a few seconds.  its certainly at this point not any slower than my 16gb iPad 2!

I don't see any vents on the CB either.  with its SSD, you probably don't need them.  I certainly haven't heard any fans either.   :)

the worst part about my Chromebook is the fact it is a loaner.  st some point I will have to return it ... and then get my own.  But I am wanting one with a larger screen.   :Thmbsup:

paulobrabo:
@Paulo
-fgrieser (January 03, 2014, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have an old Samsung NC215PD1 Atom 2Gb 500Gb.

You are right, a hard start will take those Windows 7 usual seconds, but after the thing is booted you may close and reopen the lid and it's really start on. The battery lasts about 7 hours, so I rarely have to boot it up, just recharge it every now and then. I use it everywhere :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version