ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Best note-taking setup with tablet and keyboard?

<< < (3/7) > >>

fgrieser:
Thanks Paulo.
That's not what I am looking for. I already have that with my Thinkpad X200, though its battery only lasts for 4 hours (the larger one lasts 6 hrs).

paulobrabo:
Hehe we keep looking. The main advantage of the netbook for me is the size. It's my digital moleskine! As my main concern is writing, I would pick up a netbook over a tablet anytime.

I do a lot of writing, most of it txts (writemonkey!) synced through dropbox. I also have some Scrivener projects, synced through dropbox. As for notes, Wiznotes takes care of keeping them always synchronized among machines. I tried simplenote more than once, but I had constant synchronization woes and lost information I wish I hadn't.

I additionally backup all of these to the amazon servers with Cloudberry Backup.

dr_andus:
As my main concern is writing, I would pick up a netbook over a tablet anytime.

I do a lot of writing, most of it txts (writemonkey!) synced through dropbox. I also have some Scrivener projects, synced through dropbox.
-paulobrabo (January 03, 2014, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please note that I'm not just looking for a writing machine in general. For that there is my PC (where I also use WriteMonkey, Outline 4D, Gingko app, Scrivener or Dragon NS for various writing tasks).

I want a portable and cordless note-taking/writing solution that I can use when I expressly do not want to turn on my PC or my netbook. It might be the weekend when I don't want to turn on my work machine, or the middle of the night, when I just had an idea before falling asleep, or sitting on the couch, or being out and about, or at a business meeting.

Originally I bought my Asus eee PC exactly for this reason. However, eventually the ever-increasing booting or waking-up time with Win machines just put me off from using them. The competition to what I am looking for is pen and paper, which are instantly on.

dr_andus:
On another forum someone just suggested Nimblstand, which extends the Apple Wireless Keyboard (which is the best keyboard I've ever used - I use it with my PC) and seems to work with most tablets (though it has a bit of a problem with iPad Air, but they offer a free fix for it).

It does not offer protection for the tablet and it's not backlit, so Zagg and ClamCase might still have an edge. I read somewhere that the Zagg keyboard is the closest to the Apple Wireless typing experience (of the keyboard cases on the market).

dr_andus:
well Doc, I was leary of the Chromebooks to at first.
-techidave (January 03, 2014, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does Chromebook have any nice writing apps (preferably plain text with markdown) that also work offline and sync with Dropbox?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version