topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Blacked Out Government Websites Available Through Wayback Machine  (Read 4974 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This could arguably also go into the jokes section...
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Blacked Out Government Websites Available Through Wayback Machine
Posted on October 2, 2013 by brewster   

Congress has caused the U.S. federal government to shut down and many important websites have gone dark.  Fortunately, we have the Wayback Machine to help.
Many sites are displaying messages that say that they are not being updated or maintained during the government shut down, and the following sites are some who have shut their doors today.  Clicking the logos will take you to a Wayback Machine archived capture of the site.    Please donate to help us keep the government websites available.
noaa.gov - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - noaa.gov
parkservice - National Park Service - nps.gov
LOClogo3 - Library of Congress - loc.gov
NSF_Logo - National Science Foundation - nsf.gov
fcc-logo - Federal Communication Commission - fcc.gov
CensusBureauSeal - Bureau of the Census - census.gov
usdalogo - U.S. Department of Agriculture - usda.gov
usgs - United States Geological Survey - usgs.gov
usitc - U.S. International Trade Commission - usitc.gov
FTC-logo - Federal Trade Commission - ftc.gov
Corporation_for_National_and_Community_Service - Corporation for National and Community Service - nationalservice.gov
trade.gov - International Trade Administration - trade.gov

This entry was posted in Announcements, News, Wayback Machine and tagged blackout, Wayback Machine. Bookmark the permalink.
← Celebrate at the Internet Archive — 1024 — Thursday Oct. 24th
One Response to Blacked Out Government Websites Available Through Wayback Machine

Pingback: YSK that the Internet Archive's "Wayback Machine" has cached versions of all government websites before the shutdown. | Awesome Facts

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Blacked Out Government Websites Available Through Wayback Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:33 AM »
On some sites you can use view-source like this:

view-source:http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/sitemap.shtm

Copy & paste that in your browser address bar.

They are using this:

Code: HTML [Select]
  1. <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=/shutdown.shtml" />

To shut the site down. So, the site *IS* live and functional. They've just used a cheap hack to make it look like it isn't up.

Ahem... Can we say "theater"? :P Drama queens. Pfft.

I'm not sure if browsers have an option to disable meta refreshes. That would also work.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:28 AM »
Ahem... Can we say "theater"? :P Drama queens. Pfft.
Yep. I guess we can! That's very silly/pathetic.
In NZ, deliberately withdrawing in angry fashion is called "spitting the dummy" - it's immature.
That arguably seems to be what we have here.
Moronic.

Well, they say you get the government leadership you elect and thus deserve, and that it's a reflection of the voting majority...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:39 AM »
Well, they say you get the government leadership you elect and thus deserve, and that it's a reflection of the voting majority...

I don't vote. I refuse to vote for more evil. Only ever voted once, and tried to actively decline the ballot as there was only evil listed on it.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:34 AM »
This involves the post-911 US Government, therefor yet more opera.  :-\

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 07:03 AM »
I think the funny part is that the seem to expect us to believe that they went totally busted flat broke at exactly the stroke on midnight ... Because apparently they're operating critical systems without any cash buffer what-so-ever. Really??!? They operate so close to zero that nobody has a single red cent left in any of the government accounts? Bull Shit!

Complete theater indeed.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Well Joker, in a sense this is "the cash buffer". That's what the Repubs keep playing with.

So in some senses this is a "legal" way for the agencies to say they are annoyed - of course the content isn't going to go sour in a day, but it's now more "in the face" of average Americans.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 12:03 PM »
So in some senses this is a "legal" way for the agencies to say they are annoyed - of course the content isn't going to go sour in a day, but it's now more "in the face" of average Americans.

They did not request, nor were granted a permit for this protest. The American people do not need anything rubbed in their faces regarding how badly the US government handles money. Congress OTOH should be immediately fired in total, and the janitorial staff should be allowed to clean up the mess...in an expedient fashion. Which I would happily bet a testicle they could pull off by sundown with time to spare.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 01:06 PM »

They did not request, nor were granted a permit for this protest. The American people do not need anything rubbed in their faces regarding how badly the US government handles money. Congress OTOH should be immediately fired in total, and the janitorial staff should be allowed to clean up the mess...in an expedient fashion. Which I would happily bet a testicle they could pull off by sundown with time to spare.

A. No permit needed. I "bet" $10 that somewhere in the voluminous regs they can do what they did and somewhere on page 33 of a 60 page legal doc in a file cabinet marked "beware of stoic joking leopards" it says so. Not counting the usual snarkiness aka Basement, on boring stuff nothing the gov does is "illegal". Not on that level.

B. The American Public *does* need stuff rubbed in their face because the rest of the billion dollar machine is spending money making it sound like it's no big deal! So it's a "reverse cry wolf" - "what does it take to finally make you voters realize we have some psychopaths here?!"

C. While your last comment slides over from "literal" to "joke", Tom Clancy's novel Executive Orders said much the same thing ... and Item B leads to Item C. The way you "fire" a congress member is to vote them out. Hence why (slowly!!) I keep saying the minute we get a turbo political social media engine where for once the country can "share", and not limited to fake farms and cats, for once the politicians have to watch out!

For example there is a newspaper in Maine that published a bunch of big ticket exposes (I forgot which - sorry, blasting this note out!) where parts of the Maine Govt shut them out of basic coverage. Clear court case brewing t here. Normally that's not something that would ever be noticed in Wisconsin... but with voter-side social media, it could.

Ignoring trolls and so on, some combination of Reddit and Slashdot for Political Bills would RUIN DC. So they are riding the long coattails of inertia as long as they can before that happens. Not counting security issues, I also keep saying such a system is "easy" to build - in some ways it only needs to do twelve things. Allow granular hot button lines to push up, aggregate up and down to the candidate and back, and a few other things. Piece of cake. I keep thinking of doing it myself in Basic for #$%^#$% sake for a NANY except that it wouldn't scale.

But however much you hate him, Mark Zuckerberg "and gang" showed how the world works - you lock in the right points of time and then you have to be dealt with forever. Google too. (Microsoft before that.)