topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: A new section for Linux, cross-platform code, embedded, mac, android, ios, etc.  (Read 83659 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You know what happened to the guy who had a dream?

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
I want a FreeBSD section.
You can also post about FreeBSD in this section.
I tried to tell mouser that writing that this section is for "Linux" and whatever else he has listed is a bad idea, but he tends to ignore my advise :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also, "embedded" includes Windows.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The "etc." at the end of the topic heading "A new section for Linux, cross-platform code, embedded, mac, android, ios, etc." and the fact that the section is entitled "Non-Windows Software" would apparently include FreeBSD, [whatever]BSD, OS/2, Haiku, FreeDOS, VisopSys, Amiga (yes, it's still being developed and hardware produced), FreeVMS, KolibriOS, AROS, DearGodMakeItStopOS, etc. and all flavors of GNU/Linux you can dream up.

So quit yer bitchin'  >:(

I'm still looking for a solid informational post about Linux here.

Be my guest...

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So "cross-platform" means "every platform except Windows" too?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cross-platform (in my world) means something available for more than one OS (e.g. Filezilla, which has versions available for Linux, Mac and Windows); or something like NASA's World Wind which is not OS dependent since it runs under Java.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So FileZilla (available for Windows) is allowed here, embedded Windows is not although this is called "embedded"?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Any software that runs on any operating system/device that is not Microsoft Windows desktop operating system is suitable for discussion in this section (even if it also runs on Windows desktop).

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does WINE count then?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There are times when I sincerely wonder why I bother posting anything here at all.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WINE itself would count, because it is software intended to run on a non-windows system.  Discussing things like how to make [software package] run on WINE may be a gray area, and (in my opinion) MUCH better discussed on the WINE boards.  Software that runs on WINE... read the section heading and do the math.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would also say that discussion of cross-platform software here would be best limited to it's performance on non-Windows systems. 
For example, discussing Firefox in general would be more appropriate on the main software board.  Running Firefox on Haiku would be preferably discussed here.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why should cross-platform software (like Firefox) behave so different on Haiku that it should get a separate subforum?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
People!  The management announced a new area.  Instead of kvetching about it and trying to microdefine it to death, why not post something relevant?!?  You got Linux?  Post Linux-ish.  You got BSD?  Post BSD-ish. You got OS/2?  Post OS/2-ish.  This thread is on page two (2), approaching page three (3), and I've yet to see anything productive posted save for the initial announcement and a few desktops.  Quit trying to micromanage it and start posting.  If you get outside the section parameters, I'm certain that someone will so inform you.  In the meantime, quit trolling.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
quit trolling

+1

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The problem is that the posting rules here are not defined clearly enough, and before I receive a warning for off-topic posting in this sacred Linux-friendly area (seriously, did we actually need this?!), I'd like to get to know the actual restrictions. According to the description of this section, everything is allowed here. Where to post "embedded Windows" topics? There is no area for that.

(We could all get rid of this two-page discussion if mouser had announced this area before so we as the board members could have made the rules...)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^There aren't rules so much as there general conventions which almost everybody here seems to understand without the need to have them spelled out in extreme detail.

in this sacred Linux-friendly area (seriously, did we actually need this?!

Most of us here just see Linux as another OS - not some religious battle that you seem to see it as.

Seriously, does anybody here really need you when you get like this? :-\

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feel free to put me on your filter list if you don't need me. Where exactly do I put tirades against Linux? I'd assume reading is not one of your strengths?

"We don't need a Linux section" means that I don't like Linux? Get real.

"General conventions" are fine, but they need refinements to be applicable. Non-applicable conventions are bullshit.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here we go again folks!

(And BTW, this forum doesn't support filtering the posts of specific members - just their PMs.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"General conventions" are fine, but they need refinements to be applicable. Non-applicable conventions are bullshit.

Ditto non-applicable comments. :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Like yours? While I guess I gave you a couple of reasons why this section in its current state (with the current "rules") is pointless, I see no reason from your side why I am wrong, except "ZOMG EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS DAT!!1". I'm not quite convinced, sorry.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not quite convinced, sorry.

It still stands whether you're convinced or not. Your personal agreement is neither relevant nor required for the purposes of this particular sub-board. Or any other, really. And that just about wraps it up for me. Please feel free to continue on by yourself if you like. Good-night.
 :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My personal agreement needs refinement, which is something the staff here should care about. According to your profile, you are not a staff member but a random spammer with an ugly penguin in the badges. Now what? Good night.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My personal agreement needs refinement, which is something the staff here should care about. According to your profile, you are not a staff member but a random spammer with an ugly penguin in the badges. Now what? Good night.

Perhaps I missed something, but just what does your personal agreement have to do with matters?  This is something that was decided, without your personal approval, I'll grant, but you are not a staff member either.  If you don't like things, leave.  The rest of us can do without trolling.  This ain't your personal ballpark ... the rest of us play here, too.  We'd prefer to do it without constant contention.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You dislike being pointed at wrong assumptions?