topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR - Options to remove few elements on Launch window?  (Read 3886 times)

utilfreak

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR - Options to remove few elements on Launch window?
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Till date, for last 7-8 years, I have been using Launchy for its minimalist design. I found FARR today and find it far more powerful. There are 3 or 4 things on the Launch window I wouldn't like to see though, since I really like minimal windows.

1) How can I remove the Close button?
2) How do I remove the Help and Options buttons?
3) Can I remove the status bar?

I have seen a number of screenshots with some of these been removed, but couldn't find in the help how. One of the skin (slenderFARR) did away with the close button, but that's through a skin, not an option. Could anyone help?

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR - Options to remove few elements on Launch window?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:42 PM »
Hi there!

1. Use the slenderFARR skin
2. Hide Help and Options buttons by dragging that window area to the right until it disappears
3. Hide statusbar text with an autohotkey script (There is no way currently to actually disable the statusbar AFAIK)

Great to see another FARR minimalist!  :)

utilfreak

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Thank you Nod5!

Removing the status-bar does not seem to have a clean solution, so will live with it.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 11:35 AM »
As you get more into FARR do experiment with the different types of alias commands available. There is a lot you can tweak and customize there to fit and speed up the way you work with programs and files.

If you have a small number of files/programs that you launch very often then set up few dolaunch actions with short launch phrases.
For example, in options > lists > aliases > myaliases.alias  add a new alias and set
^cc$
in the regex field and then under results
dolaunch C:\somefolder
With that set up you open FARR, press c twice and the folder opens. No wait for search results and no need to press enter.

utilfreak

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:33 PM »
Dolaunches are too cool! :) Now I will have to refresh myself on regex again to understand the command you have noted.

And how do I make skins of my own?

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:45 AM »
You edit skins using a tool called skin builder. See this thread https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=14454.0 The problem with old versions mentioned in a post there was later resolved by Mouser (FARR creator) so the tool should work. I don't remember the details of editing skins though. I just stick with slenderFARR.

The regex in my example triggers the alias if the search box contains only "cc". So it won't trigger unintentionally if I type "accelerate". The ^ means the start of the row and $ means the end of the row.