ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

P3005 HP LaserJet printer questions

<< < (2/8) > >>

techidave:
Sorry about that Renegade.  I was on my phone when I posted the reply so I didn't bother checking the link out.

some of the repairs on different machines are like a growling noise when it prints, paper jam in tray 2 even though I replaced the sep pad and feed roller with genuine HP parts.

I have used the 4100 and 4200 with pretty good luck.  we are an extremely small school, so most of our printers get 2,000 or less pages printed per year.  our staff is has been taught not to print unless its absolutely necessary.

Renegade:
The printer business model is largely on replacement ink cartridges. I don't know enough about that specific printer to say much more, but if you're already getting into replacing parts and paying for labour, it's mostly likely going to be cheaper to simply replace it with a refurbished or used one. You also need to factor in the time it takes for you to deal with the issue. If it costs you $100 in time, it might just be cheaper to get a refurb and be done with the deal.

Vurbal:
If you're running into a lot of apparently mechanical problems with low end printers Renegade is right that it's rarely worth repairing them.

There appears to a HP service note you just missed out on (literally ended at the beginning of July) suggesting the noise is the result of problems between the shaft and gears for the fuser. If it was still a free replacement it would obviously be worth it. Otherwise I'd take it as a likely sign of other problems in the future and cut my losses as soon as possible.

Stoic Joker:
This is somewhat from memory since I left the IT world in 2006, but IIRC P just means monochromatic (black) compared to CP which would indicated a color printer.-Vurbal (August 07, 2013, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Correct! Also the D is for Duplex, and the N is for Network as the base model only has USB or parallel depending on the age of the P3005.

The number should tell you the intended market which mostly indicates the expected number of pages per use, per month, and over the printer's lifetime.-Vurbal (August 07, 2013, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

That doesn't actually track with the HP's, some yes, some no, if the numbers actually do match it's an accident. I see the sales types tripping over this one a lot.

The laserJet 4000/4050/4100 was replaced with the LaserJet 4200/4250/4300/4350, which was then replaced by the P4014/P4015 ... Which has now been replaced by the M600 Professional series. So I guess we're all going to start over on/with the numbers now. *Shrug* They're great printers, but a bit much for Techidaves print volume as if the cartridge gets too old (recommended shelf life is 1 year) the seals will go and dump all the toner into the printer in one shot. And it's not the kind of mess you can scrape off the Teflon roller in the fuser...so plan on kissing that goodbye too. Such was the fate of the LaserJet 2100 I used to have in my office at home...The guys are using it for parts now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Techidave - The P3005's are a mid level business class printer that will really take a beating. So if you print volume is that low the printer is a good fit.

There is a (fuser drive gear) kit available for the (somewhat common) growling issue. If a can track down the service manager I'll get the PN for the kit and post it later. They're not that hard to replace if you're competent with hand tools, and there is a service bulitin with instructions on the repair that should be easy to find with google (I can't post that one here).

Jamming in 2 - I can check with the techs and see what the most common causes. But if you have any that appear to be bricked (won't come to a ready or throw an error) there was a recall on the formatters for a range os serialnumbers ... So that would be a free repair at/by any HP Authorizes Service Provider.

40hz:
They're great printers, but a bit much for Techidaves print volume as if the cartridge gets too old (recommended shelf life is 1 year) the seals will go and dump all the toner into the printer in one shot. And it's not the kind of mess you can scrape off the Teflon roller in the fuser...so plan on kissing that goodbye too.
-Stoic Joker (August 07, 2013, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. Just had that happen recently with my beloved personal 4150N. I've been trying to see if I can get it cleaned out as kind of a hobby project when I'm feeling mechanical. Doesn't look too promising.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version