topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Freeware = CRAP!  (Read 14073 times)

K_Connolly

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Freeware = CRAP!
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:58 AM »
OH Boy!   I wish I never got this (Screen Shot Captor).  Now I cannot  use my internet without junk web sites popping up - it's really annoying!!!!  Definitely give this a second thought - In fact just spend the money and get the real Snip It tool!!!!   

THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD EVER MAKE A 'DONATION' FOR THE HEADACHE THIS 'FREE' SOFTWARE HAS GIVEN ME!!!!  IT ONLY A VIRUS!

BEWARE!

-KC

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Freeware = CRAP!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:34 AM »
You most likely have your cause and effect confused. Screenshot Capter is a completely legitimate and quality piece of software. Are you sure you downloaded it from this website?

Regardless, I suspect the problems you have were encountered while browing on another website or installing other software. Screenshot Captor has many thousands of happy users and is one of the most popular pieces of software offered on this website.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 06:39 AM »
I am one of those many thousands of users.  I have used Screenshot Captor since its creation, and have never seen one advertisement. Donation Coder creates some of the best free software on the Internet, I even use some of it in my workplace, approved by our System Administrator.

You should use Malwarebytes Antimalware and Spybot Search and Destroy to run a complete scan on your system to see what is causing your issues. It is definitely not Screenshot Captor. 

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.safer-networking.org/

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:44 AM »
I agree with Worstje!

I use Screenshot Captor for years on many PCs. My company even bought a company license for it to use it commercially legally.

NEVER EVER appeared any malware, virus, browser/DNS hijacking, install of any unwanted bloatware or whatever from Screenshot Captor.

Either you got an infected package from anywhere else or you had a virus/hijacker already before or after installing Screenshot Captor. I think, if you got your package from elsewhere and sent it to mouser (the author), he gladly will check the shitload of the infected package and try to stop the deployment of this bad package.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, but please don't blame the wrong (good) guy for something that another reason is responsible for.

Give SC another try on a clean machine (or vm) and you'll see you are wrong and blamed the innocent.

Greetings
JoTo

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 06:48 AM »
^Interesting...

I, along with a large number of other people, have been using Screenshot Captor for years. It's also been reviewed and declared "clean" of malware by several of the major review sites. I've also never heard anybody reporting the problem that you're reporting after installing it.

Did you get your copy directly from the Donation Coder website?

Also, if "Screen Shot Captor" ('screen shot' as 2 words) is not a typo in your OP, you've installed something other than the program available from here. "Screenshot" is a single word in Donation Coder's  Screenshot Captor program.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 06:52 AM »
I too have to jump to the defense of Screenshot Captor.  I work in the Irish Financial Sector and I have being using it in work for years without any issue.  The software had to be 'vetted' before being allowed into our organisation.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:34 AM by dluby »

cschw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:06 AM »
Congratulations on finding the right place to complain about Screenshot Captor.  It's too bad that you didn't find DonationCoder.com before you downloaded this particular software program.  Yes, it is obvious that you downloaded this from another site--since any viruses or malware associated with this program would have been added to it 'after-market'--it simply isn't in the Screenshot Captor software downloaded from DonationCoder.

After you get your machine cleaned up, it would be best if you stick to reputable sites for downloading software.  Also, don't get suckered by the sites that say "Your computer has been infected.  Click HERE to run a free virus/malware scan."  Those sites are almost guaranteed to infect your system, and you'd be better off downloading a reputable antivirus/antimalware program directly from the developer's website.

Once you've cleaned up your machine, I challenge you to download and use any or all of the programs offered on the DonationCoder website.  You will find good software developed by great people (I can say this because I haven't developed any of the software on this site), and the community is very welcoming.  Questions or improvement suggestions are addressed quickly and comprehensively.

It's unfortunate that your computer contracted a virus...don't compound the error by blaming decent software and decent people.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 07:07 AM »
I too have to jump to the defense of Screenshot Captor.  I work in the Irish Financial Sector and I have being using it in work for years without any issue.  The software had to be 'vetted' before being allowed into our organisation.

On an unrelated note, for some reason, Irish financial sector's vetting does not make me much more confident :)

But seriously, Screenshot Captor is a very nice program, and certainly is not malware.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 07:15 AM »
Darn, what was meant to help out back fired  :-[

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51 AM »
I think the ! in the thread title was meant to come before =

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 09:55 AM »
I think the ! in the thread title was meant to come before =

Now that's a joke only a true geek could love...

LOVE IT!  ;D ;D ;D :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 11:08 AM »
OH Boy!   I wish I never got this (Screen Shot Captor).  Now I cannot  use my internet without junk web sites popping up - it's really annoying!!!!  Definitely give this a second thought - In fact just spend the money and get the real Snip It tool!!!!   
THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD EVER MAKE A 'DONATION' FOR THE HEADACHE THIS 'FREE' SOFTWARE HAS GIVEN ME!!!!  IT ONLY A VIRUS!
BEWARE!
-KC

I have to admit that, sometimes, I wish I had never got Screen Shot Captor - I'm hooked on it so bad that I am now unable to function on a PC without first installing Screen Shot Captor.
And that goes double for Clipboard Help & Spell too.
Curse you @mouser! Curse you a thousand times! You know full well what you have done to me!
Software madness. I'm not hitchhiking anymore, I'm cruising!

It's not FREEWARE - it's ADDICTIONWARE!  Don't touch it!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 11:26 AM »
Thanks to everyone who responded before me  :Thmbsup:

But in case it's not abundantly clear: Screenshot Captor does not install *ANYTHING* to your computer other than the program itself.  It contains NO spyware, adware, bundled toolbars, or anything else, and it will not cause ads to be displayed on your computer.

It sounds like you got some malware or adware from somewhere else -- you need to retrace your steps.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 11:50 AM »
Somehow, I don't think we'll hear from the OP again...  ;)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 12:29 PM »
I have to admit that, sometimes, I wish I had never got ... I'm hooked on it so bad that I am now unable to function on a PC without first installing ...
Curse you ... Curse you a thousand times! You know full well what you have done to me!
Software madness. I'm not hitchhiking anymore, I'm cruising!

Let's make this more general!

I'm up to some twenty programs that this goes for!

When being presented with a new PC for my use (as opposed to simple tech for someone else) it takes me the better side of a week to get all the little goodies on there!

:o  8)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:16 PM »
...When being presented with a new PC for my use (as opposed to simple tech for someone else) it takes me the better side of a week to get all the little goodies on there!
Yep, I have that experience too.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 01:56 PM »
OP is a ...... oh wait...this is DoCo not Reddit...Sorry :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 02:05 PM »
...When being presented with a new PC for my use (as opposed to simple tech for someone else) it takes me the better side of a week to get all the little goodies on there!
Yep, I have that experience too.

Not me. I keep current copies of all my little pet Windows app installers in a folder on my server, with copies synced to a USB key so they're available for immediate deployment anywhere.

With a Debian-based Linux distro I don't need to even do that much since it's quite easy to create a list of what's already installed, along with a copy of the repo list and authentication keys. So it's no big deal to just reinstall everything fresh on a new machine after you load Linux as long as you're using the same distro.

The only NIX installers that need to be copied are those occasional 'maverick' deb packages that don't show up in the main repos, or which don't have their own repositories set up. Those installers you would have to copy just like you would any Windows app.
 8)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 02:07 PM »
It's so addictive that on new PCs I download Screenshot Captor even before I set up connections

Spoiler

:huh:

:P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 02:09 PM »
It's so addictive that on new PCs I download Screenshot Captor even before I set up connections

Next thing you'll be installing SC in it's very own hidden partition before you even install Windows at the rate you're going!  ;) :P

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Install Windows before I connect the SATA cables too  ;)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 07:58 PM »
I wish I had never got Screen Shot Captor - I'm hooked on it so bad that I am now unable to function on a PC without first installing Screen Shot Captor.
You have got the wrong Screenshot Captor, dude. ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 08:03 PM »

And make a live CD version of it too no doubt! Imagine...it just boots into SC and does nothing else. How awesome would that be?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 08:36 PM »

And make a live CD version of it too no doubt! Imagine...it just boots into SC and does nothing else. How awesome would that be?

There is only Screenshot Captor to take screenshots of  :D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 08:47 PM »

BEWARE!

-KC

If you didn't download it from this site, you may have gotten an infected file.  Or perhaps you got an infection from another website while surfing.  I've been using SSC for years and years, and there's no way it's infected or adware, unless you downloaded it from another site.